starting strength gym

Thread: Back injury

Default Back injury

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I hurt myself deadlifting. Here's what happened
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...hp?t=125884013
    Now that I think about it, I really think that it was more about lack of warm-up and proper preparation than form. My form probably wasn't perfect but I don't think that it was injurious. During the rep, I was making an effort to contract my back and maintain a somewhat arched position (so it could have been a bit hyperextended).

Anyway, it's been a month and I haven't done any back squats or deadlifts. My question is this: when would I be ok to go back to back squats and deadlifts? Should I get a belt before going back to them? I'm cutting at the moment so it's not crucial to be doing back squats and deadlifts, but after that, I would like to do them.

Thanks for any help.

Hi,

I had something similar happening to me in November last year, on the 5th and last rep of a 275# set (at the time it was my PR, as I was doing SS).
    Symptoms were much like yours: acute pain in lower back (left side), could not bend over, and felt pain also just raising the leg up.

I waited three days for the pain to subside a bit, then started doing long sets (25) of very light squats (just the bar). I basically followed a Starr protocol. My assumption, which in the end turned out to be correct, was that I had not injured my discs, and the pain was muscular.

After a couple of weeks on squats, I started to add some very light deadlifts; I let pain guide me doing this.

I got back to a decent level of strength in the squat in about a month, but the deadlift took much longer, also because I was scared I could injury myself again.

I had some twinge in my lower back nerves for a few months; if I lied face down, and put the back in hyperextension, I would feel something getting pinched around the sacrum. This was the last symptom to go, although it didn't actually create any problem to my training.

Hope this helps,

IPB