starting strength gym
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Chicken-Legged Powerlifter

Default Confessions of a Chicken-Legged Powerlifter

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Just competed in my first powerlifting meet, so figured it's time to set-up shop here in the competitive lifter's section.

Here are my "baseline" numbers from my first meet:

BW: 194.0

Squat: 402.5 lbs.
    Bench: 242.5 lbs.
    Dead: 424.4 lbs.
    Total: 1068.9 lbs.

Looking to add 130 pounds to my total for a meet in December while still competing in 198 lb division.

Other vitals you should know:
    I'm 6'0 tall, 31 yrs old. Oh, and I have chicken legs. (tiny calves.)

First training session back after the meet.

Wed. 8.4.10. BW: 194.2 lbs.

Squat:
    324.4 lbs x 5,5,5.

Bench:
    225 lbs x 4,4,4.

(This was supposed to be a volume day but I was just absolutely whipped so I clearly didn't get much done. First time back under the bar is always rough for me.)

Hey poopmonkey, how did you train for the pause bench? Did (or do) you still train touch and go bench?

Long story short, I didn't.

I train in my garage with a shitty Weider Power Rack.

Because of the way it's constructed, I had to start all my bench presses off the pins.

(I know, if you're trying to wrap your head around how you can have a normal power rack that doesn't allow you to bench from a normal start position, don't waste your time. Just know that only Joe Weider could make it happen.)

So for the last few months, all bench presses were done off the pins -- starting from the bottom position.

I thought this would ultimately make me stronger but truth is my bench is weaker than ever now so I realize my plan was flawed.

So last night I jerry-rigged my power rack and now I'm back to benching normal. But I still have to lower the bar very slowly and just barely touch my chest or I'll hit the pins so IMO this closely simulates a paused bench.

Bottom up benching is a favorite among many PLers. They use it as a supplemental movement and not the focused (main) movement.

Yeah, that was my mistake.

Due to equipment, I made it my primary movement instead of making it a supplementary movement. Lesson learned.

Interesting. Any suggestions from either of you about how to incorporate bottom up benching into TX method programming?

Fuck if I know.

I'd say rotate between regular bench, bench off-pins and board presses on your intensity days.

But I have a 242 pound competition bench so clearly I'm not the right guy to ask.

Only 58# to go for the 5/4/3/200 win, brah! You've got the squat nailed though--unlike me.

Yeah I think I'll rotate bench off-pins on some intensity days.

Quote Originally Posted by poopmonkey View Post
    Fuck if I know.

I'd say rotate between regular bench, bench off-pins and board presses on your intensity days.

But I have a 242 pound competition bench so clearly I'm not the right guy to ask.

starting strength coach development program
    Use the bench off of pins on your intensity days for singles across. Rotate it in with regular paused benches every other workout. It is a tremendous builder of starting strength for competition style benches.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast