starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Super (20 rep) Squats.

Default Super (20 rep) Squats.

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has anybody here tried 20 rep squats? Would be good to hear about your experiences.

Dastardly, just a quick question. Have you ever actually done the Starting Strength novice program to the letter. I mean, all the eating, GOMAD, and the exact recommended sets and reps?

Briks, bro, you gotta change it up every 4 weeks to keep the muscles guessing, yo. Science says so.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    Briks, bro, you gotta change it up every 4 weeks to keep the muscles guessing, yo. Science says so.
    Oh, yeah, Tony Horton told me that.

I'm not trying to break balls, but you are on here asking different programming questions every 2 or 3 days, Dastardly. I think the Novice program will work best for you if you actually include all the parts. Maybe advanced novice, but nothing intermediate or advanced.

muscle confusion ftw, brah!

Dastardly why are wasting your time with 20 rep squats. They make your ass big and destroy your knees. Try 20 rep barbell curls in the squat rack instead.

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post

Ok, I'll bite.

I did the 20 rep program BEFORE I did SS, last Oct-Nov. Big mistakey.

Why?

Oh sure, they were hard. And yes, I did grow a bit on the program. But since I hadn't done SS, or even read SS, I didn't know how to squat correctly, or even to depth (Knowing about active hip would've helped a great deal). Plus, I was weak. So yeah, I "did" 315x20 for my last set of probably half-3/4 squats, but I was basically spinning my wheels until I finally nutted up and did SS to the letter, GOMAD and all. I am sure that, were I to do the program now as an Intermediate who knows how to squat correctly, I would have drastically different (read: better) results.

"Everyone is a novice until they aren't." <---words to live by.

Playing program roulette is natural, in my opinion. What is unnatural is squatting 400lbs. If you want unnatural results, nut up and do the unnatural thing, which is sticking to a program until you physically can't.

...or maybe he is just curious?

I sure am, and still have at least a month of LP ahead of me.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean5424 View Post

"Everyone is a novice until they aren't." <---words to live by.

Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Briks42 View Post
    Dastardly, just a quick question. Have you ever actually done the Starting Strength novice program to the letter. I mean, all the eating, GOMAD, and the exact recommended sets and reps?
    Yes. But not the GOMAD. (partially lactose intolerant, but I tried.)

I did that silly stronglifts thing in 2009. Started SS in 2010 did it for a few months (exactly to the letter), reset a few times, then switched to advanced novice and carried on pushing away for far longer than I probably should have (multiple resets and little progress).

Im in a programming limbo/hiatus right now and am just curious about my options. My squat is the most "stuck" out of everything. If I was to dedicate my time to one thing, it should probably be that.

starting strength coach development program
    I just finished the finnish deadlift cycle first six weeks to improve my shitty deadlift. At the end of that high volume adventure I. tested my lift..I put 10 pounds on the lift. Not impressive. But I did learn what had been holding me back.I'm back to texas method for my pulls and gaining around 5 lbs a week. For me volume helped a bit but not as much as if id have sucked up and stuck with what iwas doing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast