starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cardio and Lifting: Recovery?

Default Cardio and Lifting: Recovery?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I am currently doing a 3 day split for lifting. I have one serious day of SS due to my current circumstances and then the other 2 lifting days I do "light" work for Power Cleans, OHP, and DL's

On the other 4 days a week I am walking 30 minutes at about 5kmh at a 9% incline.

I feel like I am fine but am curious if I am slowly sabotaging myself.

Any suggestions/comments/advice?

A 30 minute walk? Uh you're not exactly supposed to be bed-ridden on your recovery days.... come on.

Dude,
    I was told that walking like that would eat up more fat than running or whatever. Supposedly keeping your heart rate between 110 and 120 is where its at. If that isn't the case then what would you suggest?

I think Carnivroar was commenting on the absurdity of a 30 minute walk 4 days per week sabotaging your strength gains. People do manual labor all day for a paycheck, go to the gym after work, and still make awesome gains.

In all honesty, the one-day-per-week of heavy lifting is probably doing more to "sabotage" your gains. I know sometimes schedules for work or whatever suck, but realize that slow gains in your current case are not so much from overtraining as undertraining.

I'd put it about 5-15 mins before stretching for sets. Just my input, if your heading over 30-45mins your basically shredding fat that could be used as energy for your lifts. I don't know if you like it and you seem your doing ok, by all means do it. This is just something you can try out.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Pacheco View Post
    your basically shredding fat that could be used as energy for your lifts.
    You might want to spend some time reading up on how the body uses different energy sources during different types of exercise.

Quote Originally Posted by nervousnellie2
    On the other 4 days a week I am walking 30 minutes at about 5kmh at a 9% incline.

I feel like I am fine but am curious if I am slowly sabotaging myself.
    I think the only way you could be sabotaging yourself by walking is if you're not eating enough to fuel recovery/growth. Eating more pretty much solves any concerns about self-sabotage. Also, what's your current situation that doesn't let you lift heavy more often?

Quote Originally Posted by drewcarroll2 View Post
    Dude,
    I was told that walking like that would eat up more fat than running or whatever. Supposedly keeping your heart rate between 110 and 120 is where its at. If that isn't the case then what would you suggest?
    In general, high-intensity cardio is probably the most effective means of fat loss (when complemented with good nutrition). However, we aren't interested in this method because it will slowly begin to diminish our strength gains. I'm assuming you're on a weight loss cycle. In that case, this form of light-intensity work shouldn't impact your recovery. Cardio is great for the body. From personal experience, cardio begins to impact your recovery and hence your strength gains only when it is of higher intensity.

I still do high intensity cardio because it's good for the body. But I'll only do it when I expect a calorie surplus because I can make up for the recovery with more food. Just keep doing what you're doing and you shouldn't have a problem. Try consuming lots of protein as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean5424 View Post
    I think Carnivroar was commenting on the absurdity of a 30 minute walk 4 days per week sabotaging your strength gains. People do manual labor all day for a paycheck, go to the gym after work, and still make awesome gains.
    Yeah, that's what I meant.

For fat loss, it's all diet.

However a bit of cardio is good. But for god's sake, don't go on the treadmill. Take a walk outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    But for god's sake, don't go on the treadmill. Take a walk outside.
    Agreed.

Treadmills are good if you want to do intervals or something with progressive intensity/speed from run to run, however.

starting strength coach development program
    I have a feeling it's pretty hot where he is. Like 120+. Sometimes everything just sucks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast