starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stomach hurting my progress

Default Stomach hurting my progress

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I seem to run into problems towards the end of the semester when the stress levels are pretty high. This time though, its been three weeks and I have not yet recovered. Basically too much gas, and I need to crap often. My butt is hurting and can't walk sometimes, especially at the end of the day. I am tired, frustrated and have also lost 2lbs
    Three months before I had exactly same problems, I went to doctor and she told me to take Prilosec for 7 days. I took it and my stomach became pretty good after that. So now because of the same symptoms I just decided to take Prilosec for 7 days (which might have been a mistake, because it says the dose can be repeated only after 4 months). I am trying to eat as much as possible and I also end up eating a lot outside because of some events going on in my univ etc. I want to do something drastic and seal this problem once and for all, its hurting my progress bigtime (and exams are over, so I want to go into top gear for bulking).

Well what exactly are you eating?

I suggest you supplement with fish oil, vitamin D, and magnesium, for starters.

Are you still in school at the moment?

I've had IBS for about 10 years, I used to poo 5-6 times a day. I've pulled over on the side of the road to poo. I've pooed my pants. (the dreaded Shart)

I've found that when I eat MORE food that is high QUALITY poo problems seem to go away.

Get yourself some quality protein (steak, eggs, chicken, whey).

Shoot for 250g a day spread out over 6 meals.

When you go grocery shopping, stay on the outside of the store, don't get anything processed or in a box.

If it had a face or came from the ground, eat it. Do this for a couple of weeks, and see how you feel.

^ Good stuff. And avoid gluten like the plague. Also try to cut out lactose to see if that helps.

I figured out that having 1 or 2 salads a day with olive oil and avoiding too much grain serves me very well. I thought I was lactose intolerant for years and took supps with every serving of milk. Now I drink more milk than ever and take nothing with it.

When I did a lot of running I often had to dash away to any kind of cover I could find off the trail. If I was lucky in the Winter there was some snow around to wipe with.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Well what exactly are you eating?

I suggest you supplement with fish oil, vitamin D, and magnesium, for starters.

Are you still in school at the moment?
    Yeah in school, but very flexible schedule. I eat fish oil + multivitamins on/off, have tried ZMA for sleep but didn't work so don't take it.
    About food: The main cultiprit was depression, not food. I was actually felt really bad about something and felt really low for a few hours + bit of stress hanging around due to school. After I came back from gym, I think I drank milk and popped in a lactaid tablet. I am lactose intolerant and I recently started this trying lactaid tablets. Gas started building up in my stomach. Other than that I eat pretty clean - oats + bread + chicken + eggs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    I've had IBS for about 10 years, I used to poo 5-6 times a day. I've pulled over on the side of the road to poo. I've pooed my pants. (the dreaded Shart)

I've found that when I eat MORE food that is high QUALITY poo problems seem to go away.

Get yourself some quality protein (steak, eggs, chicken, whey).

Shoot for 250g a day spread out over 6 meals.

When you go grocery shopping, stay on the outside of the store, don't get anything processed or in a box.

If it had a face or came from the ground, eat it. Do this for a couple of weeks, and see how you feel.
    Right from a kid I have had digestion issues. But I recently discovered that I was lactose intolerant. Actually it is all fuzzy, sometimes I drink a bit of milk and I am ok, sometimes I don't drink milk at all but still I have problems. But nowadays I have had a pretty good stomach and I have been eating a lot (even though I have a occasional gas here and there, which I think is normal) but when shit happens, it hits the fan. I don't have to run for the loo etc, but too much gas. But yeah I think lactaid pills are not working well or at least i will wait for sometime before I try them.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    ^ Good stuff. And avoid gluten like the plague. Also try to cut out lactose to see if that helps.
    I drink lactaid milk, which is very costly, so generally don't have problem. But I recently started taking lactaid pills. I will cut milk and see. (I have a lot of milk in home already)

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    I figured out that having 1 or 2 salads a day with olive oil and avoiding too much grain serves me very well. I thought I was lactose intolerant for years and took supps with every serving of milk. Now I drink more milk than ever and take nothing with it.

When I did a lot of running I often had to dash away to any kind of cover I could find off the trail. If I was lucky in the Winter there was some snow around to wipe with.
    Gross man! Oh, I don't know whether I am really lactose intolerant, but many times when I try to drink milk, it ends up pretty bad. So I generally drink lactaid milk which empties my wallet everytime I go for grocery shop.

Try Digestive Advantage instead of the Lactaid. It's a probiotic that replaces the gut bacteria usually responsible for helping break down lactose in the digestive system. You have to take it daily, but it works way better than taking lactase enzyme supps with every meal. Plus, I no longer have to carry lactaid pills around in my pocket just in case someone brought cheesecake or some other dairy thing to work or a party.

It's not the bacteria that produce lactase, you produce it yourself. Not that you thing may not work, who knows...

Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    oats + bread + chicken + eggs etc.
    Cut out the grains.

starting strength coach development program
    I have tried Digestive Advantage. In my experience, its good if you are not drinking may be a cup of milk a day and eat some milk products, otherwise if you are drinking lots of milk, it won't work. Is your experience the same?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast