starting strength gym

Thread: Assistance exercises and Texas Method

Default Assistance exercises and Texas Method

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Has anyone here put assistance exercises into the Texas Method or known anyone to do so. I'm not talking about heavy abs, reverse hypers, back extensions or pullups. I mean something like a heavy set of 5 partial benches or partial OH presses on Monday or something like alternating heavy RDLs, rack pulls, deadlifting from blocks (or snatch grip deadlift) and normal deadlifts on Friday.

I was looking back through the assistance exercise chapter in Starting Strength today and was just wondering, I've never seen a Texas method example/template with anything of those assistance lifts. Obviously you don't want to do partials on bench and OH press all the time (I'd think probably like once every 2-3 weeks would be ok) but would it be right to assume that the intermediate stage is probably too early to throw in these more advanced assistance lifts?

Just for the hell of it, if you were using any of these, what would you do?

I'm thinking, if I were going to use these more advanced exercises, one week I'd put RDLs or SLDLs on Monday, then another week I'd put a heavy set of 5 partial bench or OH press, or a couple sets of 5 close grip benching and follow up with 3 heavy 5s for pullups or rows or something. I don't really know. I think that I'm probably going to be done with the Starting Strength program in a month or so (it's going pretty fast since I'm actually doing it to get back to previous strength from my extended layoff period of nearly a year) and will be moving on to the Texas Method.

By the way, have any of you moved past the Texas Method? If so, how often do you use those advanced assistance movements? How do you know how to design your advanced level programs? Do you have a coach that does them for you or do you just expand the principles of the Texas method and spread it out over multiple weeks? Like for instance, right when the weekly progression stops working with the Texas method, have a 2-3 week "periodization":

Mon: volume
    Wed: volume
    Fri: deload/light day
    Mon: deload/light day
    Wed: intensity
    Fri: intensity
    (I guess for these two intensity days you probably wouldn't do a RM for the normal deadlift, I'm guessing that'd be too stressful)

Thanks.

Nothing?