starting strength gym
Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My new log (as of tomorrow)

Default My new log (as of tomorrow)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...985#post151985

I shall start recording my lifts in this log as well as on paper, and I'll let you guys know if I make any slips/misses/form starts to go, etc.

Tomorrow - this is my WO:

Basic Dynamic Warmup (activiation movements, dynamic stretching in small sets)

Front Squats (clean grip) - 3x5x75kg
    Military Press - 3x5x40kg
    Power Cleans - 3x5x50kg
    Assisted PullUps - 2x8x[negative 50kg]

Relaxed Static Stretching

PWO Shake (50 grams whey + 50 grams dextrose)

Contrast Shower (1 minute hot, 1/2 minute cold x4)

I'll log it tomorrow.

WEDS 11/08/2010:

FRONT SQUATS: 75kg x 3 sets x 5 reps (all completed ATG, 1 minute rest between sets)

MILITARY PRESS: 40kg x 3 sets x 5 reps (all completed with a slightly wider than normal clean grip on the bar, 1 minute rest between sets)

POWER CLEANS: 50kg x 5 sets x 3 reps (all completed in quick succession, with a jump in the middle of the movement, 1 mintue rest between sets)

ASSISTED PULLUPS: My BW - 50kg x 3 sets x 8 reps (all completed with a regular width pullup grip, 1 minute rest between sets)

NOTES:

Front Squats had no problems.

I feel I may have bounced my last two military press reps, but other than that - my back was strait and all other musculature was contracted.

I decided to change the cleans sets/reps as it is more productive to my goals to do lower reps, higher weight.

Pullups, I got tired towards the end - but not so tired I had to take a long set of breaths inbetween reps, and only 1 or 2 sufficed.

Still haven't found out my BW yet, it's one of the higher things on my priority list right now.

END RESULT:

Good first, proper workout

Good job getting a log - I've found it to be my best training-tool after lifting shoes.

About the lifts:

Squats: You don't need to go ATG. Watch your lower back if you do - I fucked mine up something good, going very low.

Press: Using the bounce at the bottom if quite ok. Obviously dont slam it into your shoulders/chest and dont bounce from your knees (that's a Push Press).

Cleans: Are supposed to be 5 sets of three reps, so you've got it right. The technical lifts are tough to do 5 reps.

Pull-ups: Aren't part of the "Standard" protocol on clean-day.

And finally - FWIW - I found dynamic stretching to be alot better than static stretching. So maybe the dynamic stretching at the beginning of the workout is enough?

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    Good job getting a log - I've found it to be my best training-tool after lifting shoes.

About the lifts:

Squats: You don't need to go ATG. Watch your lower back if you do - I fucked mine up something good, going very low.

Press: Using the bounce at the bottom if quite ok. Obviously dont slam it into your shoulders/chest and dont bounce from your knees (that's a Push Press).

Cleans: Are supposed to be 5 sets of three reps, so you've got it right. The technical lifts are tough to do 5 reps.

And finally - FWIW - I found dynamic stretching to be alot better than static stretching. So maybe the dynamic stretching at the beginning of the workout is enough?
    For some reason, I actualy can't stay above parralell, so I just go ATG - I like the intensity, and it helps with hamstring development.

I try to make sure my reps aren't bounced too much, it was about 2-3 on my last set (and I managed to hold off screaming, unlike other people in the gym )

Cleans. good to know I did it right, and I did a bit of calculating, and I decided power is better built 5x3 than 3x5. (Less reps = more weight, is that correct? And I'm not too tired in the middle, so I can do the jump in the middle)

PullUps - sorry, I always thought dips/pulls were part of the Program.

Static stretching is just to help recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Danish Viking View Post
    There is no protocol for when to do pullups. You can do them whenever you want.

I KNOW this will sound nit-pickey, but why front squats? Also, how do you position your feet?

Quote Originally Posted by MazdaMatt View Post
    I KNOW this will sound nit-pickey, but why front squats? Also, how do you position your feet?
    In all honesty, front squats for me were just a misread of a thread, but I tried them and fell in love with them (cheezy I know), so I thought about it logically

Back Squats > Front Squats in most terms
    Front Squats > Back Squats for throwers

BUT I still think that back squats do more for my rugby, and other sports. So I FS once a week, to stress my "trunk" and quads more (and to give my posterior chain more recovery) without loosing benefits of squatting.

Feet, about 2cms wider than shoulder width (or equal to shouler width if I can get it), pronated outwards 30~40 degrees for all squats.

It is messing with the program, but no so much that I'd have to cut off your thumbs.

Just to clear things up, is this SS?

If you must do stretching do it after the lifts.

And if you are doing front squats to recover better, why don't you just do back squats with a lower weight?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by PVC View Post
    There is no protocol for when to do pullups. You can do them whenever you want.
    I don't know of any SS-template where it is programmed to follow a clean-workout by doing pullups to my knowledge. One shouldnt add shit (aka fuck with the programme) when one is just starting out.

I missed you were frontsquatting somehow. I get the "ATG" thing better now - I also find it hard to cut off frontsquats just below parallel. This is more paramount (in my experience) on the backsquats, which you will luckily also be doing.

FWIW I really like frontsquatting too. I'd programme my deadlifts after the frontsquats. Deadlifting after a heavy back squat can be pretty icky.

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast