starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ideal sleep conditions?

Default Ideal sleep conditions?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I understand the importance a good night's sleep has on your training, but is there any fact or opinion out there on more specific things to do or look out for?

When I sleep, I have three blankets even in the middle of the summer and seem to sleep most comfortably when sweating it out a little throughout the night.

Im curious if this has a detrimental effect, or if there are any good tips out there that are more specific.

thanks

matt

I think you are overthinking this whole sleeping business.

Dark room, get comfortable.

+1 on the overthinking. :P

Default We are so different..

When I hit the weights hard I get an afterburn from hell.

Last night I finished my training at 8 pm. I came home, ate a whole lot and read a book. Tried going to bed at midnight. I had a high pulse still though and immediately started sweating and had to get rid of the sheet cover, but still couldn't sleep. Got up again at 0045 and read my book in dim light until 0145. Tried going to bed again, but still had a hard time falling asleep. Last time I looked at my watch it wast 0215..

I get this problem from time to time and the only remedy is to train earlier in the afternoon, preferably 1600-1800. But sometimes life and work simply doesn't allow it.

How long have you been training?

I used to get this earlier on. The overload to the CNS kinda fucks with your sleep for a while. I got the same effect when I tried high volume deadlifts. No matter how tired & beat up I was, just couldnt sleep.

My recommendation is, not to wait. If you feel sleepy right after you come home from training, perhaps immediately after a big meal. Dont fuck about, just go lie down in the quiet and go to sleep even if it is in the middle of the day.

I also recommend clean sheets, cleaning dust out of your room. Open a window if necessary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolla View Post
    When I hit the weights hard I get an afterburn from hell.

Last night I finished my training at 8 pm. I came home, ate a whole lot and read a book. Tried going to bed at midnight. I had a high pulse still though and immediately started sweating and had to get rid of the sheet cover, but still couldn't sleep. Got up again at 0045 and read my book in dim light until 0145. Tried going to bed again, but still had a hard time falling asleep. Last time I looked at my watch it wast 0215..

I get this problem from time to time and the only remedy is to train earlier in the afternoon, preferably 1600-1800. But sometimes life and work simply doesn't allow it.

Yes overthinking. I take a cat nap after work at 1pm for an hour or so, I dont count this towards the 8 hours per night thing.

My sleep is often interrupted by going out murdering prostitutes and homeless people.

Hi,

In the Strongest Shall Survive Bill give some good tips for sleeping, among them as previously said clean sheets, clean room (not only dust), wall colour, ventilation, shower, etc... it's a large etcetera because even in some cases there are people which are affected by stuff like water, polarity etc.

Having meal and going straight to the bed, is a subjective thing, I can't do it, I can't be horizontal for ~ 2 hours after eating something, otherwise I get stomach colic.

I would say if you can't fall asleep, maybe try with those natural night tea, they've lavender among other things, which seems to be a good tranquilliser, to complement with a book.

I general terms, I wouldn't worry to much on how you sleep, the important thing is that you feel well afterwards, with energy and not completely wasted - routine seems to be something good for this.

Hey, brother,

You might be overthinking but I think about this stuff all the time too. Granted, when I work I work 6 x 12hour shifts in a row, 3am to 3:30 pm each day for six days. So for six days I have to be asleep by 630 pm. Not an easy task in the summer, when the afternoon sun shines right into my window.

personally I like it cold so i can use blankets, not just sheets. and dark! no lights not even LEDs on electronic devices, they bug me. i turn on fans for white noise. and sometimes i get post-workout or post-meal issues too, but not much i can do about this since i have exactly three hours from when i get off of work to: workout, shower, eat, chillax, and get to bed.

If you feel rested, you are doing it right.

When I have had bad sleep issues in the past, I felt like shit all the time. My athletic performance was mediocre, and my motivation was in the toilet. Things are a bit better these days but I still think there is improvement to be made.

Best of luck to you.

I think darkness is one of the biggest things. As in, not even a pinpoint of light. Consider a sleep mask if you need one, but light has a physiological effect even when it's only on your skin.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    light has a physiological effect even when it's only on your skin.
    For reals? You got any links or anything on that? Sounds like woo to me, but if it ain't, I'd be interested in finding out more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast