starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does moving to intermediate trump microloading on the novice program?

Default When does moving to intermediate trump microloading on the novice program?

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    Pretty much as the title says, I'm still uncertain as to how low one should microload down to on the novice program to maximise LP before switching to an intermediate program such as TM. For things like the squat, where I was told that you should be adding 5lb/week for the squat, therefore microloading to anything that would give less than 5lb/week on the novice program would be slower than switching to TM. I know other lifts such as the press, bench, and powerclean progress slower, and in PP 1st ed. and SS 2nd ed., Rip talks about microloading with even down to 1lb. But that would be just 3lbs in 2 weeks. Would using an intermediate program such as TM give even less than 3lb increases every 2 weeks?

So i'd just like to hear thoughts on this. Over in my 'what now' thread in the programming section i think bloodninja and PVC gave me some good answers but then the discussion sort of ended and I'd like for them and others to elaborate so i made a new thread for that purpose.

One important consideration: do you have 0.5 lb plates?

Yep. I have 0.25kg collars, which is about 0.5lbs. So i can microload 1lb if that is the better option.

Please take this in the most polite way possible: why don't you just do one of the two programs and see how that turns out?

The decision you are trying to make depends on so many variables, many of which you don't really know or won't know until you try (how many pounds will you be able to increase on the press on SS, for instance), so just go ahead and do some advanced novice or TM and be done with it. If you pick the "wrong" program it won't block out the sun or bring the apocalypse upon mankind and you can always change it later.

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    Pretty much as the title says, I'm still uncertain as to how low one should microload down to on the novice program to maximise LP before switching to an intermediate program such as TM. For things like the squat, where I was told that you should be adding 5lb/week for the squat, therefore microloading to anything that would give less than 5lb/week on the novice program would be slower than switching to TM. I know other lifts such as the press, bench, and powerclean progress slower, and in PP 1st ed. and SS 2nd ed., Rip talks about microloading with even down to 1lb. But that would be just 3lbs in 2 weeks. Would using an intermediate program such as TM give even less than 3lb increases every 2 weeks?

So i'd just like to hear thoughts on this. Over in my 'what now' thread in the programming section i think bloodninja and PVC gave me some good answers but then the discussion sort of ended and I'd like for them and others to elaborate so i made a new thread for that purpose.
    Are you lifting at home? Or at a gym?
    If you're at a gym, the variability in plate weight (even if it is 2% or less) might be enough to render your micro-loading moot with very small weight increases. On average, it probably evens out, but it just something to consider. If you're at home, obviously this isn't a factor, since you're using the same plates every-time.

I'd plus one Carlos as well. Try one and see what happens.

Well yes I've already decided to deload and stick with SS again starting next week for as long as possible before switching to TM. I just want to know when i shuld stop microloading further and instead switch to TM to be making the most of my time.

And yes my gym membership is expiring soon and so i will be lifting at home. I lift mostly at home nowadays (2 out of 3 sessions each week)

the difference between 5 lbs/week on TM and 5 lbs/week on advanced novice by microloading is that on TM you're days are scheduled as volume/light/intensity, and on advanced novice theyre volume/light/volume.

i think that if you're able to recover on advanced novice, you might make slightly quicker gains on it than on TM. however, if you push it you'll probably either stagnate or risk overreaching.

id like to hear some experienced opinions on this, because its about the stage im at. im opting for staying on advanced novice for as long as i can, btw.

Well, you don't microload the squat, so that is a non-issue.

As for the presses, when you move to an intermediate routine you will still be microloading. It's not as if your body just suddenly becomes able to handle more weight faster on a more advanced routine. If you are microloading say 2.5lbs a session, that is 7.5lbs every two weeks on LP vs 5lbs every two weeks on Starr or TM. The math stays the same for microloading with 1lbs. You are able to eek out more gains over the same time period even increasing only by 1lb per sesson than if you were to move to more advanced programming (that will require microloading eventually anyways) sooner.

-Hat

Why don't you microload the squat? is anything less than 5lbs microloading?

starting strength coach development program
    I don't think it's really necessary on such a big movement as a squat.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast