starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strange sharp adductor pain

Default Strange sharp adductor pain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey guys, I just want to know if anyone's had a similar problem and what it might be.

I've been having this weird pain in my adductors right under my glutes when I'm at around 3/4 of the way up my squat. It isn't with every rep, but it's always after the half squat position. I can always blast the weight up from there, but sometimes when I do that pain appears and it makes me reluctant to finish my reps with maximal speed.

A possible reason is that I'm really focusing on forcing the knees out now (where before I hadn't), stretching the adductors in the hole moreso than usual and forcing them to contract faster from a more stretched position than they are used to when I finish my squat.

Any ideas?

Your adductors are not under your glutes, so you problem lies somewhere else.

Of course they are. When you're standing up, they are medial to your hamstrings and under your glutes.

If by under you mean distal, sure.

EDIT:

Ok, you got me, apparently the adductor minimus is under the gluteus maximus.
    Last edited by Carlos Daniel; 08-16-2010 at 11:37 AM.

I don't mean to say that the adductors are a group of muscles tucked right under the glutes because that would be wrong. But they are technically located below the glutes--yes, distal, as you said--and I am feeling the pain in what seems to be the proximal attachment of an adductor group.

Same here. Or I was, anyway.

Not sure what caused it, might have been because I was doing stupid things with my feet (rolling to the outside of the foot. no idea why.) while I was in the bottom of the squat, which caused my knees to wobble, and forced the adductors to do a bunch of extra work stabilizing my knee.

I did a bunch of ice, Vit. I, and stretching, followed up by low weight, high rep work (basically Starr Rehab, but shorter). Not quite back to where I was, yet, but getting there, and no 'injury' pain, just soreness.

Well, this is your lucky day, I had pretty much the same thing a while ago. It went away by itself though, so it may not be your lucky day after all.

General protocol on groin pain is to use a narrower stance.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys, good to know I'm not alone.

I squatted about an inch narrower today, and focused on shooting my knees out, and the pain was still there. But I'm maintaining my theory that it's just because my knees are tracking correctly (wider) now, and my adductors are simply adjusting to that, so it'll go away by itself soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by holyinstantrice View Post
    Gotcha. Thanks for the info guys, good to know I'm not alone.

I squatted about an inch narrower today, and focused on shooting my knees out, and the pain was still there. But I'm maintaining my theory that it's just because my knees are tracking correctly (wider) now, and my adductors are simply adjusting to that, so it'll go away by itself soon enough.
    If it doesn't, fish oil, ibuprofen and foam rolling.

starting strength coach development program
    Sharp pain is BAD. In order, I'd suggest: reducing the weight, a form check (including stance width), foam rolling, self-massage, fish oil. Make sure you aren't forcing your knees out TOO far, which I've seen fellas do. They need to travel at the same angle as your toes, and no more.

Luckily, the adductors are very quick at adapting, in my experience.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast