starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pain at top of shin

Default Pain at top of shin

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been having pain in the roundish bone at the top of my right shin...you'll feel what I'm talking about if you just run your finger up your shin bone. I was squatting heavy (for me) a week and a half ago and the last rep was extremely ugly..I was squatting high bar a2g and I don't know exactly what happened, but that bone was in a lot of pain about 5 minutes after my set.

It got better over the next 4 days and I thought it would completely go away but the pain level has basically been the same for the past 5. It feels kind of like an internal bruise or something. Almost like someone hit me with something hard directly on that bone. It hurts if I press on the top of the bone. Doesn't hurt when I jump up and down on one leg, however it hurts when I do air squats.

Squatted light 205 x 2 x 5 this past monday planning on trying 5 x 5. HORRIBLE idea. I re-aggravated whatever is wrong with that part of my shin and was in considerable pain during the 2nd set and after I was finished. Saw my doctor the next day. She scheduled me for an x-ray which I'm currently waiting for the results on and prescribed me anti-inflammatory pills. I have been taking the pills since tuesday as prescribed twice per day but the pain is not going away. Wtf do I do. It's depressing seeing my weight and strength go down and there is nothing I can do about it cause I can't squat or deadlift!

Quote Originally Posted by RP89 View Post
    I've been having pain in the roundish bone at the top of my right shin...you'll feel what I'm talking about if you just run your finger up your shin bone.
    It would help if you were more precise with the anatomical location of the said injury. If you cannot name it, mark it on an image because I have no idea where the "roundish bone" in question is.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    It would help if you were more precise with the anatomical location of the said injury. If you cannot name it, mark it on an image because I have no idea where the "roundish bone" in question is.
    Almost has to be the patella, since running your finger up your shin gets to your patellar tendon then to the patella itself. My first guess is patellar tendinitis.

RP89, if you sit with your feet hanging off the edge of a table or something similar, and have someone press on your foot while you try to straighten it out, does it hurt? Also try this when you're laying down and your knee is bent with your foot at your ass...try to straighten your leg while someone puts pressure on it keeping it bent.

I'd go ahead and start icing the crap out of it now.

I've looked at several anatomy pics and can't safely name it so I'm going to take a pic of my knee pointing it out in a bit.

Where I'm pointing there's a bone that sticks out there. The pain is only on that bone, mostly on the top of it
    Attached Images Attached Images

Looks like it's the insertion of the patellar tendon.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    Looks like it's the insertion of the patellar tendon.
    Yeah, that would be my guess, but I also don't have a round bone right there, I just have shin.

Went to a sports md doctor yesterday he told me I should not squat all the way down, he then demonstrated 1/8th squats and told me that is what I should do unless I'm a bodybuilder or a skier, otherwise there is no reason for me to go parallel or lower lolol. He said it was just inflammation and told me to buy voltaren and keep icing...

I think I finally found out what exactly the bone is tho. After watching a knee anatomy vid I'm pretty darn sure it is the tibial tubercle. If I'm not mistaken this means that I have osgood-schlatter? This would also explain why some of you had no clue what I meant by "roundish bone" (more of a bump) because not everyone has that between there patella and shin. I'm reading that the pain may just resolve itself after a few months but can also take up to 2 years to go away?! I want to squat and deadlift so bad...I hope this is not the case. Anyone with Osgood's-Schlatter want to chime in here?

starting strength coach development program
    I think your sports doctor should know a lot more about sports medicine than what he currently knows. Has it him that gave you the diagnosis on Osgood-Schlatter?

I think you should see a better doctor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast