starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Restarting Starting Strength

Default Restarting Starting Strength

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I did the program once and it was great- I've since lost nearly all the muscle, but I've never learned so much about discipline or seen self-improvement in such a clear light. The first time I persevered through a bad tailbone injury and a broken wrist, resetting (incorrectly) and all that. Now, after a summer of weekly cardio and lots of beer, I'm back where I started (plus a belly). Time to get to work.

Routine substitutes chins for cleans, and I do military press once out of every six workouts.

Day A
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5
    Deadlift 1x5

Day B
    Squat 3x5
    Bench 3x5 (press every other week)
    Chins 3x to failure

First workout to establish weight, very conservatively as recommended:
    Sunday, August 15
    Squat 85
    Bench 65
    Deadlift 85

I'll be flying home this week, so jetlag will force me to lift Sunday, Tuesday, and Friday, and unfortunately I won't be able to start MWF until the week after that, so a little too much rest this week. Glad to have a proper log this time and ready to start getting strong, all the best to everyone else posting here (or not).

What were your previous bests? And why are you pressing so rarely?

My previous bests never got too high thanks to that injury, but were still loads better than where I'm at now.. Squat 225, Bench 165, Deadlift 240. Should I be pressing once a week? I haven't read Starting Strength in months, so I just glanced at the wiki and once every other week is the regimen selected there, but if I misunderstood or that's just dumb I'll change it up.

You are meant to alternate Bench and Press.

So Workout A is Bench.
    Workout B is Press.

Thanks, that sure helps a lot, heh... I see there's a few beginner programs suggested that have you press once a week though. I'm sure this has been talked to death on these forums, but anyone who wants to contribute thoughts on bench/military alternating and military once a week is more than welcome. I know for now, the most important thing is to stick to whatever (good) program I choose, eat and keep the weight moving up.

I didn't have time to work out on Tuesday, had some business to take care of before I fly back to the US and the gym was closed by the time I got done. Can't wait to get back to my gym with a squat rack that doesn't have any duct tape on it, 10-11 hours etc So I worked out today instead:

Wednesday, August 18
    Squat 99
    Press 45
    Chins, man have I gotten weak, I could barely power out 3 sets of 2 with good form.

Urgh, lots of obstacles in my way- I went to the gym in spite of severe jetlag on Friday, and it's closed. I work out at my school's gym and it may be closed until the 31st, but if I'm lucky will open this week. I am way too poor to dish out $10-20 for a onetime workout elsewhere, but I did manage to work out at my girlfriend's gym today, which has a shitty little Smith machine. No point posting my numbers I figure, but I did the compound lifts, hopefully better than nothing. SS is delayed until next week at least, if so I'll make do with what I've got.

Haven't been able to update with the site updates. No gym access until classes start, September 1st, so working out at home till then. Basic dumbbell squats, chin ups, etc... it sucks but I have no other practical options.

I'm with Manisstrong here, bench and press alternate - that's how THE PROGRAM works - and I wouldn't rely to much on that Wiki - THE BOOK is much more complete. Good luck on your return - hope you break those PRs!

I appreciate the advice guys, that's what I'll be on from now on. FINALLY, the gym opened today. Even though I had to wait 10min for the squat rack and wore my legs out running to catch a train after leaving the gym, it was so satisfying to finally lift again. I started again as if it were the first workout, I didn't want to add too much weight after only a partial week on the program..

Wednesday, September 1
    Squat 95
    Bench 75
    Deadlift 95

Unfortunately Sunday I have a wedding to go to, and I don't know if my gym is open early enough to squeeze in a workout. I'm not too worried about it because I want to get on M/W/F anyway (the gym is far from home and really only convenient to hit when I'm at school or work).

starting strength coach development program
    Friday, September 3
    Squat 110
    Press 55
    Chins 3x3

Workout was good, could have used more sleep the past 2 days but I'm eating alright and the weight is still really low. Looks like I'll be able to work out Sunday after all.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast