starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lower back injury #1

Default Lower back injury #1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey,

So here I am thinking that I have all the technique and strength.. then.. bom bom bommmm.. injury.

2 months in I'm around 320 lb deadlifts 3 x 5 and the next day a slightly small ache on my lower left back area.. just above the butt. I had a day rest figuring that I could resume with proper technique on my following training day. So.. I start my following day off with squats and.. ouch.. 1 rep.. ouch even more 2 reps.. OUUUCHHCHCHCHC 3rd rep I stop. Rack it... and the pain ensues. I've been off lifting for about 4-5 days now. I'm assuming due to my dumb form on my deadlifts I started something that my squats finished off. My lower back was in pain and I couldn't move around much at all with it. I just took some Ibuprofen and stretched as much I could and slept that day. Since then it's been less and less over the last days.. today is my first followup workout.

Do you think I should approach my back similar to Starr's rehab for belly muscles? or should I try something else? I don't want to decondition my back by letting it heal without training but I don't want to prolong or worsen an injury. I don't think it's spine/lumbar but maybe a tendon or muscle in that area.

Thoughts or suggestions anyone? We'll find out tonight .. hoping for some advice before I go soon.

(And yes, I went back to the book and will be correcting my faults in form- lack of tense upright chest and back before the pull)

Thanks for any help!
    Last edited by Baltix; 08-23-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Clarification for being dumb

I used to always get a bitch of a pain at the left side above my butt. It went away on it's own after I fixed my form. I suggest you post a video of both squats and deadlifts for evaluation before you lift heavy again.

You might want to stay away from sets across on deadlifts. Just 1 set of 5 per week is recommended in SS.

Did the exact same thing recently- injured it on heavy squats without a belt and aggravated it doing yardwork and then deadlifting.

Squatting belted has been fine, but it does flare up a little here and there. For me, it started where I'd be borderline paralyzed in the evening and after RICE I'd be just fine in the morning.

RICE and avoiding deads did it for me, as well as some Tiger Balm before lifting.

So as a follow up..I feel great.I did light squats and deadlifts and my normal press.

I focused mainly on form and higher reps with lower weights..my pain is less and I think my other culprit is not stretching hamstrings well enough.we'll see how things go as I add more weight though.thanks for the suggestions I apologize I'm not as detailed as I'm inputting this on a phone.RICE is something I will definitely look into.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltix View Post
    Do you think I should approach my back similar to Starr's rehab for belly muscles?
    I did when I injured myself deadlifting, and I got good results.
    On the other hand, in the medium term back injuries seem to take care of themselves, so I guees than any gradual and controlled return to exercise will work just as well as the Starr's protocol.

IPB

Quote Originally Posted by ColoWayno View Post
    You might want to stay away from sets across on deadlifts. Just 1 set of 5 per week is recommended in SS.
    You caught me on this .. I only do 5 x 1 .. good catch! I'd really be in a world of pain if so. So the 5 x 3 was incorrect of me to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Baltix View Post
    So as a follow up..I feel great.I did light squats and deadlifts and my normal press.

I focused mainly on form and higher reps with lower weights..my pain is less and I think my other culprit is not stretching hamstrings well enough.we'll see how things go as I add more weight though.thanks for the suggestions I apologize I'm not as detailed as I'm inputting this on a phone.RICE is something I will definitely look into.
    More clarification - I did a search for this inquiry or something similar and couldn't find many results, thus my OP.

I did around 25-40% of my weights for the motions I injured (deadlift and squat) and did around 10-15 x 3 of them PERFECT FORM. I made sure to stretch my hamstrings and range of motion of the workouts prior to the weights as well. I think this made for a really effective rehab for myself. My pain went 80% away from where it was with perfect form and low weight with those reps. I would recommend anyone to doing the same after a few days rest after injuries similar to mine. I'm no doctor BTW LOL. I would imagine I'll add 10% of my pre-injury weight back on each workout to recover unless there's a relapse of the same injury signals.

I'll update if anything breaks (literally) or changes.

I know you said you don't think it's spinal, but check out the new article on Elite FTS about lower back pain and slipped discs. Personally, I've had some lower back tightness and pain for a while now, not when lifting, but when doing stuff like yardwork, shoveling and what not. It's annoying. I'd get yours checked out by someone knowledgeable, even though I'm not following my own advice.

starting strength coach development program
    I don't want to start a new thread, but as I'm also having lower back pains, I have quick question. Yesterday when doing squats, I swear I heard something tear on my lower back, and it's been hurting ever since. It's not that bad, though. Any idea?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast