starting strength gym
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat -> Fit: Rick's SS Training Log

Default Fat -> Fit: Rick's SS Training Log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi folks. My name is Rick and I'm about three weeks into SS. About two years ago I was 26 years old and 6' tall, 230lbs, and weak as hell (fat). I had been slim and efficient in college but years of beer and poor eating habits plus a desk job had taken it's toll. I decided to lose a bunch of weight so I drastically altered my eating plan and managed to lose 65-70lbs over the last two years.

I joined a gym in March and spent about four months focused on really stupid routines. It wasn't so much that the program was stupid, just that I was using it stupidly. There were lots of isolated exercises and it was a 5-day split. I didn't keep track of my progress because I was doing too many exercises each workout to keep track of. Fortunately I did learn that compound bodyweight exercises were enjoyable and seemed to have the biggest impact on strength/size, and this steered me to look for a better program.

After poking around on BB.com I found the FAQ by "kethnaab" which pointed me towards SS. I did a lot of reading and eventually bought the SS 2nd Ed. and the DVD so that I could learn the basic lifts and spend as much time as possible focusing on building true strength. Better yet, my wife decided to quit spending the entire hour on the stairmaster reading and to join me lifting weights!

Anyways, I started on August 2nd at 164.5lbs and will be documenting my progress here. My goal is to take SS as far as I can go. I am open to regaining weight because I know it will be mostly LBM and I can cut the fat when the novice gains start to peter out.

Here are my lift-specific goals:

Squat: 315lbs
    Deadlift: 405lbs
    Overhead Press: BW
    Bench Press: 225lbs
    Power Clean: ?? (Yet to do a real "work set")
    Dips: 3x10 x Bodyweight + 90lbs
    Chinups: 3x10 x Bodyweight (maybe weighted)
    Planks: 2 minutes per side (maybe weighted)

Yes I need to start on the power cleans. I have up until now been substituting rows because I thought the FAQ I read made it sound like they were acceptable. However after reading the book I realize I need to be doing cleans to train explosiveness, improve muscle recruitment rate, etc. I will be working them in as soon as possible.

Sorry for the novel. Thanks for reading!

Here's my progress for the first three weeks, starting August 2nd:

Squat: 45 -> 125lbs
    Bench: 95 -> 130lbs
    Deadlifts: 95 -> 150lbs
    Dips: 8/6 @ BW -> 10/10 @ BW+10lbs
    Press: 45 -> 60lbs
    Chinups: 4/4 @ BW -> 8/7 @ BW
    Rows: 45 -> 60lbs

I've steadily been increasing my caloric intake. I'm not going to do GOMAD, but I will eat clean and above maintenance. So far my weight has gone up from ~164 to 168lbs... it makes me nervous to gain after all that time losing, but it is exciting too. I realize I probably need to be eating more to hit the ~20lbs gain over 6-7 weeks that Rip states in his "Clarification" article.
    Last edited by Underdog; 08-24-2010 at 11:15 AM.

... and finally to catch up to last night.

Squat: 3x5x135 - Nice to have plates on there finally, but DAMN I was struggling under the bar. Form got a little sloppy on my last two reps but speed was good.

Overhead press: 3x5x65 - I could be adding more here but I will stick to the 5lb/workout progress as long as possible. Sped through my sets and focused on form.

Rows: 3x5x65 - Last time I will do rows, although I enjoy them and the stretch in my hamstrings. From now on I will DTP and do cleans.

Chinups: 8/6/5 @ Bodyweight - I love chinups!

Thumbs up

Good luck and hit it hard and you'll keep making good progress.

Back from the gym, waiting for dinner... Salmon, sweet potato, swiss chard, bok choi, glass o' milk. mmmm

Wednesday ("A" day), Week #4

Bodyweight: 166.1lbs
    Squats: 3x5x145lbs
    Bench: 3x5x135lbs
    Deads: 3x5x160lbs
    Dips: 11/9 @ BW+12
    Planks: 1:00ea per side @ BW

Notes: My right shoulder has been achy the last couple days, ever since I slept on it weird. It doesn't seem to be directly aggravated during the workout but I am nervous, not wanting to injure myself. Otherwise, feeling great under the bar and really enjoying the novice gains.

Wrapped up Week #4 late on Saturday night.

Bodyweight: 170.0lbs
    Squats: 3x5x155lbs
    Press: 3x5x70lbs
    Power Cleans: 3x5x45lbs
    Chins: 8/5/3 @ BW

Notes: Thursday, Friday and Saturday were full of food and booze and I think I paid the price going into the gym on Saturday night. We got to the gym at 10PM and it all caught up to me (combined with a poor night's sleep the night before). I finished all my squats but felt slow, although the wife said my speed was okay. We spent 20-30 minutes practicing power cleans and when we felt fairly comfortable with it we did three sets with the bar. It is a tough movement to learn, but it is fun and I can see the benefit. We will have to re-watch the section on the DVD.

Starting the second "month" of SS tonight!
    Last edited by Underdog; 08-31-2010 at 07:07 AM.

Monday, "A" Day, Week #5

Bodyweight: 168.3
    Squats: 3x5x165lbs
    Bench: 3x5x140lbs
    Deadlift: 1x5x180lbs
    Dips: 8/6/5 @ BW+17
    Planks: 1:00ea per side @ BW

Notes: Squats have started to slow down. Ears are popping during maximum exertion. I think it's time to cut the gains in half workout-to-workout, with the exception of the deadlift, press and cleans. My bodyweight seems to be going up slowly but steadily which is what I wanted. I don't like feeling heavier but as long as my waist isn't getting bigger I can deal.

Hey, good luck with your progress.

There's not too many complete beginner logs on here, like myself, and yourself even more so. Looks like most don't start keeping a log until they've already had a couple of months of progression.

Keep on lifting.

Rick, at 6" and 170# SS is tailored for guys like you. Dont' scrimp on the food because it will stall your progress. At your height, you can easily support 230 # bw but you will look completely different than you did before. Eat, hit the weights hard, and in a few months you'll be amazed at what you've achieved.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks Geoff (or is it really Jeff? "misspelled Geoff") I have definitely warmed up to the idea of putting some weight back on in the proper composition. This is bolstered by the recomp effect I have noticed over the last month where my "fluffy" middle section has started to firm up, along with a more drastic increase in solid bulk in the rest of my body. I don't know about 230lbs... not sure if I want to be that big again, muscle or otherwise. Based on the "training tall athletes" video on the front page, 3lbs/in would put me at 216lbs, which I could deal with. I will feel this out over time, but ideally I would reach a point where I can go to more of a bodybuilder/athlete program. Anyways, I'm not worried about making this decision now as I will ride out SS as long as I can increase the weight on the bar according to the program. Thanks for the support though!

Wednesday, "B" Day, Week #5

Bodyweight: 168.1lbs
    Squats: 3x5x170lbs
    Press: 3x5x75lbs
    Cleans: 5x3x55lbs
    Chins: 8/5/4 @ BW

Notes: Had a huge lunch and dinner the last two nights and a glass of milk with each meal. Starting to enjoy the extra food! Squats were really tough despite cutting my increases to 5lbs, but I will continue at that pace as long as I can. Still going up on Press without much trouble. Second cleans workout went well for me, but the wife got really frustrated with her form. She kept making her back too vertical before the jump and trying to do the downward part of the jump instead of just exploding up. Work in progress.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast