starting strength gym

Thread: Orion's log - Weak no more (hopefully)

Default Orion's log - Weak no more (hopefully)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Some background

I was about 220lbs - 225lbs in the spring of 2009. It wasn't a sexy or strong 220 either. It was the fat, weak and "I've sat at a desk for too long" 220lbs. My blood pressure was edging up and once I hit a size 40 pant I decided enough was enough.

I started watching what I eat and started to run. Over the next year that worked pretty well and I'd dropped a fair bit of weight. I started to think I was going to be a runner and get fast but my body disagreed.

I came down with IT band issues and/or patellofemoral syndrome. There seems to be some disagreement among my health care professionals on why my knee hurts. What ever the reason, my knee hurt and I haven't run more than 3 kilometers in a couple months. I still enjoy running but I don't think I'll ever be great at it.

I've never been into sports that much, aside from hiking. I've messed around with weights before but never on any kind of program. Just goofy personal trainer crap.

I've been messing around with Strong Lifts 5x5 for a couple weeks but found Starting Strength. I got The Book a couple days ago and I started the Starting Strength novice program today.

I live in Vancouver and am still looking for a gym to call my own.

Stats: August 26th,2010
    Weight:183
    Height: 5' 10"
    Bodyfat: 22%-25%
    Squat: 70lbs x 5 (Low due to form issues and bum knee)
    Deadlift: 95lbs x 5 (Again, bad form. Having a hard time getting it right)
    Press: 65lbs x 5
    Beach press: 95lbs x 5
    Power clean: N/A (starting them next workout)
    Not great but I have to start somewhere.

Went to the new "gym" at the Riley Park Community Centre. I wasn't too bright and I didn't ask to have a look before I went it but I thought that a brand new gym at an Olympic venue would be well equipped. Boy was I wrong. No power rack or squat rack and only 2 barbells in the whole place. So that really messed with my plans. I could only do squats with a barbell.

Squats
    4x5@45lbs

Bench
    warm up sets
    3x5@95lbs

Deadlift
    warm up sets
    3x5@95lbs

Chins ups

I has feeling pretty good going into the gym but not being able to work on my squats bummed me out. The rest of the workout felt good though. Chin up numbers are embarrassing, well everything is embarrassing, but chins more so.

LOL at Beach Press!

Make sure you are adding 10# per workout on squat, especially if starting at 45#.

Yeah. Not super happy about that. Hopefully the squat will get to it's rightful place (higher than the bench) in the next couple weeks. See what crappy personal trainers do? "Work on your bench! Squats hurt your knees! Leg press instead"

I learned my lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Went to the new "gym" at the Riley Park Community Centre. I wasn't too bright and I didn't ask to have a look before I went it but I thought that a brand new gym at an Olympic venue would be well equipped. Boy was I wrong. No power rack or squat rack and only 2 barbells in the whole place. So that really messed with my plans. I could only do squats with a barbell.

Squats
    4x5@45lbs

Bench
    warm up sets
    3x5@95lbs

Deadlift
    warm up sets
    3x5@95lbs

Chins ups

I has feeling pretty good going into the gym but not being able to work on my squats bummed me out. The rest of the workout felt good though. Chin up numbers are embarrassing, well everything is embarrassing, but chins more so.
    Welcome.

Everyone here has a weak point. I can show you monsters with 200lb+ bench presses that are working hard on their first chinup. Ten chinups is a pretty good starting point, especially detrained!

Look forward to seeing your progress. Finding a gym, eating right and buying some chalk will set you up for amazing progress between now and New Years Day.

Squat
    5@45 lbs
    3@65 lbs
    3x5@85 lbs

Overhead press
    5@45 lbs
    2@55 lbs
    3x5@70 lbs

Power Clean (first time)
    Followed the instructions in SS book on how to power clean.
    5x3@45lbs
    Still needs a lot of work. I have to work on my flexibility to be able to get my elbows high in the rack. I'm going to try and find a coach.

starting strength coach development program
    I've been powercleaning for a year now and I still can't get my elbows high in the rack. For me it's part flexibility, part anthrometry. Widening your grip will help while you work on the flexibility.

Quote Originally Posted by orion View Post
    Squat
    5@45 lbs
    3@65 lbs
    3x5@85 lbs

Overhead press
    5@45 lbs
    2@55 lbs
    3x5@70 lbs

Power Clean (first time)
    Followed the instructions in SS book on how to power clean.
    5x3@45lbs
    Still needs a lot of work. I have to work on my flexibility to be able to get my elbows high in the rack. I'm going to try and find a coach.