starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you cook your own food? (for people with no one else in the household cooking)

Default Do you cook your own food? (for people with no one else in the household cooking)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Do you buy your own groceries, chop, marinate and cook your own food? And wash the dishes? for you guys with no one else in the household doing the cooking?

Because i don't think it's a good idea to keep eating out when you need to eat so much food and not to mention getting enough protein intake(Outside cooked meat=expensive) in terms of finance. I don't think i can keep eating outside meat when it's sold twice(maybe even 3 times) the price of the meat when brought raw.

So do you guys cook all the meals(breakfast, lunch, dinner etc.) and pack to work/school or certain meals(pls mention) or if you don't cook, do you buy the food outside? and what do you think?

And it's also good to share methods of planning cooking so as it's made convenient and fast and doesn't take up too much of your time.

Well i'm still living with my parents (no i'm not 40) so my mum takes care of all my food But i do help wash the dishes.

Despite that, i agree that eating out does get expensive and so if you're lazy just cook in bulk and cook easy. My parents are going on holidays in a month or so and so it'll only be me and my sister. I basically intend to just chuck vegies and simple marinated meat (soya sauce, whatever) in a slow cooker and just come home and have like noodles or bread or some potatoes or something and that's my dinner. Lunch-wise i've been living off packed sandwiches for ages now. Meat, avocado, some lettuce, cucumber and carrots makes quite a tasteful sandwich. In the weekends i guess mass cooking and packaging into tupperware containers and storing in the freezer would also work.

Edit: And milk. Milk and shakes are always an easy, quick option if you're running short on calories

Quote Originally Posted by confuzzl3don3 View Post
    ...Despite that, i agree that eating out does get expensive and so if you're lazy just cook in bulk and cook easy. ... just chuck vegies and simple marinated meat (soya sauce, whatever) in a slow cooker and just come home and have like noodles or bread or some potatoes or something and that's my dinner. Lunch-wise i've been living off packed sandwiches for ages now. Meat, avocado, some lettuce, cucumber and carrots makes quite a tasteful sandwich. In the weekends i guess mass cooking and packaging into tupperware containers and storing in the freezer would also work.

Edit: And milk. Milk and shakes are always an easy, quick option if you're running short on calories
    This is what works for me. I don't live alone but my wife is a vegetarian so I take complete responsibility for buying and preparing my meat. I buy a roast and a pork tenderloin, some chicken breasts or something, cook them up on a Sunday in the slow cooker with a beer and some sort of baste. Then all week I can make sandwiches, and I add meat to whatever veggies my wife has prepared that night. And the rest is whole milk and shakes with blueberries, peanut butter, and whey. Then Thursday and/or Friday is fresh fish night (wife has started eating fish again thankfully) and I throw in a good quality steak night once a week. I almost never eat out now and the whole practice has become pretty much effortless.

Quote Originally Posted by 3PU View Post
    This is what works for me. I don't live alone but my wife is a vegetarian so I take complete responsibility for buying and preparing my meat. I buy a roast and a pork tenderloin, some chicken breasts or something, cook them up on a Sunday in the slow cooker with a beer and some sort of baste. Then all week I can make sandwiches, and I add meat to whatever veggies my wife has prepared that night. And the rest is whole milk and shakes with blueberries, peanut butter, and whey. Then Thursday and/or Friday is fresh fish night (wife has started eating fish again thankfully) and I throw in a good quality steak night once a week. I almost never eat out now and the whole practice has become pretty much effortless.
    So meaning your slow cooker is on the whole week heating up all your meat supplies you need for the whole week? And you just take the amount of meat you want to eat every meal form that slow cooker?

I live with my mom and I buy all the groceries and cook everything for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by zendefone View Post
    So meaning your slow cooker is on the whole week heating up all your meat supplies you need for the whole week? And you just take the amount of meat you want to eat every meal form that slow cooker?
    He means that he cooks a big roast Sunday night, puts it in the fridge on Sunday night, and then reheats chunks as necessary. Leaving a meat-filled slow cooker on for a week would be really stupid.

I cook almost all of my own meals. I usually cook a bunch of beef and chicken on the weekend - usually doubling up on cooking efficiency by cooking the chicken in the oven and the beef on the stovetop - and then finish it off over the course of the week. I deliberately undercook the beef so it doesn't get overdone when I reheat it with some frozen vegetables for workday lunches. I like cutting and cooking meat, my biggest culinary pain in the ass is cleaning leafy greens.
    Last edited by crc; 09-02-2010 at 07:19 AM.

I'm married with kids and I cook every meal (serious). As for my own food though, I train at 5:00 am, so when I cook breakfast at 6:30, I just leave the stove on and cook a pound of steak and I have the bulk of my lunch and dinner finished, 8 oz for lunch, 8 oz for dinner. Slap some bread, cheese and potatoes together and I have a couple of meals. Everything in between those is protein bars or shakes.

Quote Originally Posted by crc View Post
    He means that he cooks a big roast Sunday night, puts it in the fridge on Sunday night, and then reheats chunks as necessary. Leaving a meat-filled slow cooker on for a week would be really stupid.

I cook almost all of my own meals. I usually cook a bunch of beef and chicken on the weekend - usually doubling up on cooking efficiency by cooking the chicken in the oven and the beef on the stovetop - and then finish it off over the course of the week. I deliberately undercook the beef so it doesn't get overdone when I reheat it with some frozen vegetables for workday lunches. I like cutting and cooking meat, my biggest culinary pain in the ass is cleaning leafy greens.
    lol sorry for my stupidity. Do you use your oven to reheat the meat too? And when you store your meat in the fridge do you store it in the ''frozen'' section or the ''chilled'' section?

Sorry for my questions as i am new to this.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Spit View Post
    I'm married with kids and I cook every meal (serious). As for my own food though, I train at 5:00 am, so when I cook breakfast at 6:30, I just leave the stove on and cook a pound of steak and I have the bulk of my lunch and dinner finished, 8 oz for lunch, 8 oz for dinner. Slap some bread, cheese and potatoes together and I have a couple of meals. Everything in between those is protein bars or shakes.
    That's a great idea too. Do you cook that pound of steak the same way every time or will you add in some variety? Mind sharing the method you use for cooking the steak?

I usually cook before work. I use the freezer quite a lot, for example tenderloin and chicken breast in portions, home made burgers. Sometimes I rely also on left overs, or prepare in big quantities, like pisto or soup. Fresh pasta from the bag is easy and fast (and the best taste, except for fresh home made ones), needs only 2 minutes in boiling water, add eggs with bacon, or champignons with meat and voila. Another very simple and fast that I like is to take tuna, tomatoes, onions and do a quick salad with salt, mixed pepper, fresh parsley and balsamic vinegar.

It takes me a bit more of 30 minutes to prepare 3 meals, I put them in glass Tupperware in case I need to reheat; beside of that I take also the whey shaker with me. Some days I don't manage to cook anything, those times I rely on whey and eating something out.

I would recommend you to buy a simple book with images to get ideas, there are very good ones. One of the good things of eating plenty is that somehow (personal opinion) it forces you to learn a bit about cooking, as otherwise you run very shortly out of ideas and get bored of the food you eat.

starting strength coach development program
    I cook all my own meals fresh if time allows. Every morning I eat eggs. Beyond that I eat chicken, pork, or beef for every meal. With each meal I have a mix of red and green veggies and as much milk as I can drink. Its really that simple.

When I need a quick meal I just pound out mcdonalds or subway. too easy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast