starting strength gym

Thread: Resume Training? - Virus Infection

Default Resume Training? - Virus Infection

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello,

It seems like I have some virus infection (very sore throat, aching sinuses, cold, body feels hot like glowing, slight fever).
    I started SS on Wednesday and I'm wondering if I can resume the training tomorrow as long as I don't have any fever.
    I know that sports can be dangerous when being sick, but I heard from other sources that it can be good as long as you don't have any fever. I had temperatures up to 100F, so nothing dramatically.

I'm a novice and it would be quite disappointing for me and my training partner if I would have to take a break now.

i would wait until your temp is back to normal. increased body temp is a good thing.

training not only affects your musculature system, but also can affect your nervous and immune systems. i would wait until your temp is back to normal. you may risk prolonging the infection.

I don't think your are going to do any damage by training one session with a mild bug. And I can see the argument for wanting to maintain momentum for you and your training partner. Unless I felt like a steamy pile of dogshit, I'd go ahead and train.

i have traditionally trained when ill with little illnesses.. the superstition of "sweating it off" has helped me out. and i never really found training to be adversely affected. mind you... i am not referring to SS linear progression, but what i used to do a lot of-- which involved a lot of anaerobic-interval style conditioning, with high heart rates and whatnot. i never died or got seriously ill from this.
    although, several (un)knowledgeable individuals warned me about getting an arrythmia or something, it never happened. i guess i stress tested myself and i am OK.

however, a buddy of mine was recently hospitalized from viral myocarditis, and has been quite FUCKED UP. like not being able to get out of bed and walk to the toilet without being winded type of fucked up. so it has definitely got me rethinking my past methods.

sorry for the long tangent. in either case, unless you feel like you are actually dying, i would just drink some water, a large coffee, and do the workout. skip the milk if your sinuses feel crappy.

JMO and hope this helps.
    V

A cold is one thing... but winter-type or stomach-related viral infection is a different thing altogether. It's just a really lowlife thing to do to everybody else at the gym.

Vivek, I don't have studies handy or anything handy, but I have seen research that shows that "sweating it out" is not a superstition at all, but, that a sauna is great for eliminating toxins and feeling better faster.