starting strength gym

Thread: Left side pain

Default Left side pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi,

My left shoulder has been killing me lately, and I either injured it or at least aggravated it squatting. It hurts most acutely when I rack the bar, or more accurately, when I have already racked and am climbing out. Slow fast, arms moving first, shoulders first, doesn't matter, it really hurts.

Pain is primarily on the top, outside, at the arm, and along the vertical line of the shoulder blade near the spine. Had to not press as the bar (45lb) was painful and I heard grinding.

This may or may not be related, but for even longer my left leg is always sore, outside the knee on my lower leg and directly inside the knee. If I sit with crossed legs (left ankle on right knee) I feel pain on the inside of the left knee and cannot bring the leg parallel to the floor. Also, the left legs sort of always 'burns' like I have Tiger Balm/Ben Gay on it 24/7.

Ow. Help?

Too vague or too whiny?

I've read all the shoulder threads, the bar probably just slipped and I hurt the left side.

Unless the shoulder screams at me I'm getting my presses and chins tomorrow....

Quote Originally Posted by JStrong View Post
    Hi,

My left shoulder has been killing me lately, and I either injured it or at least aggravated it squatting. It hurts most acutely when I rack the bar, or more accurately, when I have already racked and am climbing out. Slow fast, arms moving first, shoulders first, doesn't matter, it really hurts.

Pain is primarily on the top, outside, at the arm, and along the vertical line of the shoulder blade near the spine. Had to not press as the bar (45lb) was painful and I heard grinding.

This may or may not be related, but for even longer my left leg is always sore, outside the knee on my lower leg and directly inside the knee. If I sit with crossed legs (left ankle on right knee) I feel pain on the inside of the left knee and cannot bring the leg parallel to the floor. Also, the left legs sort of always 'burns' like I have Tiger Balm/Ben Gay on it 24/7.

Ow. Help?
    God damn that sounds a lot like the shoulder blade like pain that runs up through the top shoulder and down my arm. I get that in my right arm from time to time. Seems to happen if I relax my upper back too much on my low bar squats or if the bar is placed to low. Also, uneven pressing can bother the area too.

I can press through the pain with no real reduction in performance oddly despite feeling like I just got knifed.

I recommend to use high bar squat until shoulder gets better, because your flexibility is probably not as good after injury and you risk with chronic injury if bar slips again. Even if you can get correct grip low bar squat is still much harder for shoulders and makes healing longer.