starting strength gym

Thread: Pain in the ass (actually the SI joint)

Default Pain in the ass (actually the SI joint)

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi guys. Hoping somebody might be able to offer me some advice.

For the last month or so I've been experiencing a dull pain in my lower back/left glute. Primarily the pain is around the left glute, but also shows up as pain at the top of my Coccyx (that is right where my plumbers crack would be).

the pain is primarily present when I'm sitting (which suck because i'm a desk jockey), minimal pain when I'm warmed up (so it hasn't affected my training).

I've been to see an osteopath who said that the problem area is most likely my left SI join.

So far my recovery protocol is:
    -manual manipulation by the osteopath
    - aggressive foam rolling of the glutes/legs (with both a pvc pipe and tennis ball)
    -stretching my glutes and hamstrings (I have really tight hamstrings and glutes)
    - heat packs on the affected area

Has anybody dealt with a similar injury and if so was you recovery protocol similar to mine? Any help really appreciated since this is both literally and figuratively a pain in the ass.

Identical, word for word. I've seen 4 experts, to the count. So far all wildly different diagnoses ranging from a disc bulge, to hamstring scar tissue, to gluteus medius tendonitis something. All of the things you've described massage and stretching help manage pain but nothing permanent. I too can train through it most day except when it gets especially severe in which case I employ NSAIDS. I took them for a few months straight too, but that was silly and a bandaid solution. Rather now I take them only when I need them. Good luck. If you ask rip he'll tell you to train through it, that's what he told me anyway.

Yes.

Treatment that worked: Stretching, foam rolling, ibuprofen, and rest.

Big thing is stretching.

Also: make sure your squat form is right.

Yes... and yes. Add in Ben-Gay for protocol. Un-f***ing my DL & PC form made a HUGE difference as well. Better look at those really close imo.

Thanks guys, I don't think it's bad technique, but i'll post some videos to check.

Will also add Deep Heat (the aussie ben-gay) in.

starting strength coach development program
    piriformis syndrome?

i occasionally get the same thing on my right side.

look up different piriformis stretches and release techniques. that's now part of my warmup.