starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Foam rolling

Default Foam rolling

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just finished looking at the Referral section of the Roundtable and I listening to Wendler talk about rolling with a PVC pipe. Do you know of any good videos out there on Youtube that shows the proper technique? I have pulled up a few but I am not sure of the qualifications of the people demonstrating them.

I have been having my wife take an old rolling pin and run it up an down my IT bands and pressing down as hard as she can. At first it hurt so bad I thought I was going to s**t on myself and wondered how in the hell could this be any good for me. However, after a couple of sessions the pain and tightness in sides of my knees subsided and lifting improved in just the fact that I was not dreading doing squats.

This is why I am researching learning how to do rolling for the entire body.

Was just thinking the same thing myself, i have a hard cardboard inner tube that i use, would be very similiar to a pvc pipe but i only use it only my upper back. I have never used it on any other muscles, solely because i don't know what to do. So as PapaBear stated above, some videos on how to do proper foam rolling would be great, especially some lower body stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/TriggerPoint-G...4974317&sr=8-5

I bought this, but it's not really much more expensive than a plain foam roller, basically some rubber like a tennis-shoe sole wrapped around a PVC pipe. Painful, but now I swear by it.

There's not a whole lot of technique to know. You can roll up and down along the length of a muscle, or if you are ready to join the ranks of those who fear the foam roller, find a spot that hurts and put your weight on it for 20 to 30 seconds. Work down the front and sides of your leg that way. I guarantee you that you will want to stop after a short while. It is really uncomfortable. Unfortunately, it is also really effective.

Also, check out this site:

http://mobilitywod.blogspot.com/

It's probably best to start from the beginning since the current episodes often reference previous episodes.

Sounds like you have the right idea with the foam rolling. You might get bruising. That's okay. This is one of the few times it's okay to hurt a lot and bruise. It might hurt so much you start to feel a little sick. That's when you're definitely on the right track. Remember: strong men also cry.

MobilityWOD is great stuff. I feel like he goes too fast, like I need several days to work on each episode, but it's great that it's all getting out there.

For the PVC pipe, 3 inch PVC at HomeDepot works. Costs like $3-5. Maybe 4 or 5 inch might more sense for you big guys. I thought about covering it with something soft, but why bother.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Remember: strong men also cry.
    Choice Big Lebowski quote.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast