starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Squatson Is Competitive

Default Squatson Is Competitive

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just sent in my entry form for my first meet, the Virginia Open in Norfolk VA on October 23.

I began SS at the start of the year.

BW 150
    BS 3|5x95
    BP 3|5x75
    DL 5x135
    PC 5|3x65

Current PRs

BW 222
    BS 3|5x295
    BP 3|5x202.5
    DL 5x398
    P 2x155
    PC 5|3x170

I started off pretty rad, but have had a few speedbumps along the way. First, I learned to stop leg pressing and use my ass, then I had some knee issues, was eating like an idiot...so recently I decided to go to Greyskull to tighten up my shit.

My squat was pretty rough...bar was too low, ass was going too far back. Basically I was lifting like a geared lifter without the suit. JP cued me to get my knees forward, have more bar speed and to keep a big chest (paint the wall with your nipples).

Press was ok...grip was too wide, and I unstable because I was leaning too much (JP pushed me over with 1 finger with a weight locked out). He told me just to stick my dick in the wall and then stand up. Got a PR rep of 165.

Deadlift was probably my best lift. Setup was good, just needed to remember to keep my elbows straight. Had 355 on the bar for a double, I smoked the first 2 and JP yells out 5. It was educational.

It was a great experience I would recommend to anyone. I reset everything and stepped up the diet (400g protein/day). I've worked my way back up close to PR territory. I'm using JP's reset technique on my presses. 5,5,5+ (the last set is for max reps)

Current Lifts

BS 3|5x285
    P 5,5,7x135
    BP 5,5,8x185
    DL 5x385
    PC 5|3x137.5

I hope that keeping this log will ensure that I bring the noise and the funk (previously I've been phoning in some of the funk).

Here's today's NumNums...I only count protein grams...because if I'm doing it right everything else should fall in to place. My shakes contain 75g and my whole food meals are 60g. I take 5g Creatine/day, 20g glutamine as well as fish oil, multi, B's, and Borage oil.

12:00 pm (yeah, that's when I wake up)
    Shake - Milk, Olive Oil, Flax Oil, peanut butter, 75g protein/oat starch

3:00 pm
    Steak N' Rice

6:00 pm
    Shake - 75g protein/oat starch + diet coke

9:00 pm
    Ground Beef N' Oatmeal

12:00 am
    Steak N' Brocoli

3:00 am
    Shake - 75g protein + diet coke

So that's where I'm at...I'm hoping to total 1050+ at this meet in the 242 class.

whereabouts in VA are you?

Harrisonburg, VA

You?

SS Workout B

Squat
    2|10x45
    2|5x95
    5x135
    4x185
    2x235

3|5x285 - Felt strong, good fast reps...bar path was nice on most...a couple got forward a little bit. I met a broski from Jersey today...he was doing box squats on a bench with 185, he came up and asked me if I competed...I told him about the contest. We talked about some things, the program, the eating (dude is 5'11, 175#) and some other stuff.

Press
    2|10x45
    2|5x75
    4x95
    2x115

3|5x137.5 - I got 5,5,4. The 4th rep on the last set got out in front and I had to fight it up....took a lot out of me and I missed the 5th. Will have to focus extra hard on bar path during warm ups next time.

Chins - I neglected my chins for awhile and gained a bunch of weight, it got down to where I could only do 1. I got a bar for the house, and I've been banging out a lot of reps there. When chins come up in the SS routine I do as many as I can on a one minute clock, and then cut the rest by 5 seconds the next workout.

Today I did 5 on the minute chins...I want to get 6 OTM before I start cutting rest.

Neck - 4|45x15

I do 4 high rep sets of flexion with a neck harness...just for overall mass appeal.

Workout was OK overall, I might need to think about taking more rest between my press sets.

Jam of the Day

SS Workout A

Squat

3|5x290 - Did some extra mobility stuff during my warmup, really paid off. Buried and Bounced em.

Bench

5,5,5+x187.5 - Got 7 on the max set.

Dead

5x385 - Felt like a heavy 5...last one got stuck at the thigh, but I got it up.

Neck

4|50x15 (will do 20# next workout)

Jam of the Day

Got a chuck roast in the crock pot...should be ready about now. 3.5# roast, 2 big cans of tomato soup, some onions and celery, and 5 big taters....will be gone by this time tomorrow.

Last night's workout...

SS Workout B

Squat

3|5x295

Press

3|5x137.5 - Concentrated on keeping the bar close cause I missed one out front last time....I ended up nailing my nose with the bar during a warmup set...so now I know how close I can get without getting bloody

Gym was closing so I did some chins and my neck work at the house.

Neck

4|50x20

Jam of the Day

Squat

3|5x300 - Last set was pretty rough, but my diet has been off for a couple of days...gonna do some extra mobility stuff between here and thurs, so hopefully I'll be ready for 305

Bench

5,5,8x187.5 - I repeated last workouts weight cause I wasn't happy with only 6 reps on the max set...kept the bar path nice on all reps, trying to get my speed up so I can be BAAD like James

I ran out of time so I had to dip out...will hit up power cleans on thursday.

Jam of the Day

I'm in Fredericksburg visiting my parents...so I had to work out at the Globo Gym here, which is more Globo Gym-y than my Globo Gym.....Didn't really like the setup of the rack, I missed the hooks during a warmup and the safeties weren't adjustable and nowhere near the right height. I decided to do a light squat day just to be safe.

Light Squats

3|5x235

Press

3|5x140 - I think I'm starting to nail down the press form. When I first started to speed up the lift, it would get way out of line. Now I can use the speed while keeping the bar in the slot.

Power Clean

No bumper plates at the Globo Gym, and I'm not all that comfortable lowering the weights, so I kept it at 135.

5|3x135

Jam of the Day

Last Nights workout....

Squat

300x3,2,2

Bench

5,5,7x190

Deadlift

395x0
    385x2

This is my first "real" stall on squats, seeing how I was squatting 2 inches high before. I got from 255 to 300 hitting nice depth, kinda happy with that.

Hit up JP, he said squats and deads are ready to reset. Gonna deload ~10% and do 5,5,max (max on the workset of deadlifts)

Jam of the Day

Thas my roommate slappin the bass.

starting strength coach development program
    I've got a killer head cold/sinus type thing going on....my face hurts.

I decided to man up and get my workout in...I just reset my squats so I was hoping that would help.

Squat

2|5x265 (the second set at 265 was so fucking hard I figured I had no chance of getting extra reps...so I backed it down to 225)
    11x225

Press

5x142.5
    4x142.5 (My face started hurting and I felt like I was going to die...so I dropped the weight again to get a li'l volume)
    9x115

Since I was getting snot on the bar, I decided to dip out. I'm going to Greyskull on Thursday...hopefully I'll feel better by then.

Jam of the Day

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast