starting strength gym

Thread: Labral tears in hip

Default Labral tears in hip

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just got my MRI results back from my doctor, and I have a posterior and anterior labral tear at my left hip (I hope that's the correct terminology, the tears are on the front and back). I also have a small bump/spur on my hip bone, right at the socket, which causes a popping/grinding. The ortho generalist I have been seeing said I will need surgery to fix the problem, and he set me up with a hip speciliast. He said this doesn't need surgery in all cases, but due to the bump I need the surgery because it could get worse and cuase osteoarthritis. My appointment with the surgeon isn't until Novemeber 11th.

Has anyone ever had this injury? Would there be problems if I continue to lift until the November appointment? I don't feel much pain. The doctor said that heavy squats could increase the odds of arthritis, but there hasn't been any until this point and I believe the injury happened over a year ago.

Anyone have any experience with the recovery of this? The doctor said I should be fine and back to heavy lifting in under six months.

Thanks for any advice.
    Last edited by aporter600; 09-24-2010 at 09:05 AM.

My girl had the same issue.

It went undiagnosed for several years meanwhile she went to see a bunch of "doctors" and "physical therapists" who literally made stuff up on the spot since they weren't smart enough to figure out what the problem is. It got to the point where walking more than 15 min caused pretty bad pain, so I found a doctor from a local professional sports team and we set up an appointment with him. Immediately, boom, he knew what her problem was and gave her the same options you have.

1. Find a doctor from a local professional sports team that hopefully specializes in hip surgery. Most doctors are idiots and have surgery skills on par with Dr. Nick (hello everybody!). Sports team docs are there because they are very good at what they do, they fix million dollar investments and make sure they can get back to performing as soon as possible. You want these people cutting you up. I'd drop the appointment with the surgeon unless he fits the category I've been talking about.

2. Regarding continuing squatting with the injury, that call is really up to you. You should be fully aware that any considerable movement of your femur will further the removal of cartilage. So if you can squat with little pain now, fine, but just know that the more you squat the closer and closer you'll get yourself to the point my girl got, where simply walking around the block will give you pain because as you squat you are removing cartilage that protects from bone on bone contact. But being strong makes recovery from a surgery such as this one quicker.

3. Assuming you find a good doctor you should be totally back to normal aside from some bursitis that flames up time to time (my girl is 9 months out from surgery). She has all her range of motion back. Keep in mind that immediately after surgery you may have to wear a hip brace that limits the hip range of motion to something like 15 degrees which is not much. But you can have fun with the brace and strap a gun to it and tell people you are Robocop.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by aporter600 View Post
    I just got my MRI results back from my doctor, and I have a posterior and anterior labral tear at my left hip (I hope that's the correct terminology, the tears are on the front and back). I also have a small bump/spur on my hip bone, right at the socket, which causes a popping/grinding. The ortho generalist I have been seeing said I will need surgery to fix the problem, and he set me up with a hip speciliast. He said this doesn't need surgery in all cases, but due to the bump I need the surgery because it could get worse and cuase osteoarthritis. My appointment with the surgeon isn't until Novemeber 11th.
    The bump you are referring to is something called Femoroacetabular impingement syndrome and can lead to early osteoarthritis. I'd be careful here though, as the diagnosis is very difficult to make and can easily be overcalled on an MRI.

But he's got a labral tear and he's probably going to go under the knife for that anyways.

Once they get in there they can take a look at the joint and shave things if needed.