starting strength gym
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: losing body fat while on beginner linear progression

Default losing body fat while on beginner linear progression

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    1)been on linear progression for about five months now.
    2)height: 5'11". starting weight: 155lbs starting BF%: ~13 or 14
    3) current weight 194-196lbs current BF% 19-21

i read the clarification article 3 times because i kept stalling due to UNDER eating.

here is the problem, anytime i dont eat enough my lifts stall and anytime i eat enough my lifts will go up but my bodyfat goes up as well. i believe my bodyfat is at an unacceptable level right now( if it isnt then i will quit bitching and continue my progression). but in the article you say it is possible to continue linear progression(ex. 15lb squat increase a week) for a few more months AND get body fat back down to normal levels(15%-18%)

i have a feeling your going to say it is WHAT i am eating and not the amount of calories that i am eating so here is a sample diet i posted a while back (post #8): http://startingstrength.com/resource...ad.php?t=17846

my diet now is very similar to then with a few changes and a lot more calories.

my problem is i don't know how to change up my diet so i can maintain a linear progression while cutting back the excesses fat. I am not asking for you to plan out a whole diet for me, but it would be nice if there was a source i could go to to give me all the education i need to continue this program.

since the last time i posted here my lifts have been going up quite well. although i would be at a MUCH better level at this time but i got sick twice within 3 weeks. I got so sick that i couldn't eat right for a week and i lost a good 10-15 pounds of pure muscle while still retaining fat.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    1)my problem is i don't know how to change up my diet so i can maintain a linear progression while cutting back the excesses fat. I am not asking for you to plan out a whole diet for me, but it would be nice if there was a source i could go to to give me all the education i need to continue this program.
    There is such a place. Click Me

How do you know what your bodyfat is? At 5'11", 194 pounds is not excessive. What are your squats at right now? Poke around on John Sheaffer's section as drew suggested. He fields these questions on an almost daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by edjohnson View Post
    since the last time i posted here my lifts have been going up quite well. although i would be at a MUCH better level at this time but i got sick twice within 3 weeks. I got so sick that i couldn't eat right for a week and i lost a good 10-15 pounds of pure muscle while still retaining fat.
    I doubt you lost 10-15 lbs of muscle in one week just because you didn't eat correctly.

Also, you are cutting out fat from your diet? Your body needs fat for recovery. Assuming you have enough energy going into the gym and finishing your sets, you should cut carbs before you cut fat (and protein).

Quote Originally Posted by TomC View Post
    How do you know what your bodyfat is? At 5'11", 194 pounds is not excessive. What are your squats at right now? Poke around on John Sheaffer's section as drew suggested. He fields these questions on an almost daily basis.
    i have a scale that measures weight, BF%, and a few other things. i track it frequently. every morning i stand on it.

my last squat set was 275 3X5.

Scales that measure bodyfat are notoriously inaccurate, to the point of having no value.

Quote Originally Posted by Regin Smidur View Post
    Scales that measure bodyfat are notoriously inaccurate, to the point of having no value.
    May be, but if somebody is at 20% BF he will know he is at 20%.

My scale says that I'm 25%, there is no way I'm 25%.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    My scale says that I'm 25%, there is no way I'm 25%.
    I didn't refute the fact that scales are wrong (in fact I hope your scale is wrong).
    All I am saying is that somebody will know it when he is 20% BF. Nobody is going to be at 10% and feel extremely uncomfortable about the fat.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by ivankannan View Post
    Nobody is going to be at 10% and feel extremely uncomfortable about the fat.
    Don't be so sure about that.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast