starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strapped for Time - the 5/3/1

Default Strapped for Time - the 5/3/1

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Okay, so I've decided to make a change in my workout from a hybrid of the SS beginner to Wendler's 5/3/1. I've taken my current lifts and incorporated them into the template. In addition, I've taken my calculated 1RM and multplied it by 85% to allow my body time to acclimate to the new routine. So, here are my calculated 1RM, at 85% per page 24 of his e-book -

Squat - 281 lbs.
    DL - 349 lbs.
    Military - 159 lbs. (note: I incorrectly calculated this at 80% instead of 85%, but will keep the weight the same since I didn't realize the mistake until after the first workout.)
    Bench - 230 lbs.

Warmup prior to the worksets is 40% of 1 RM X 5 reps; 50% 1RM X 5 reps; 60% 1RM X 3 reps

First Cycle

First Workout - Military (Seated - I cannot press at home due to ceiling height restrictions)

105 X 5
    120 X 5
    135 X 9

Supplementary Exercises:

Barbell Row - 95 X 10; 105 X 10; 115 X 10; 105 X 10; 95 X 10

Pullups - 5 X 5 (with bands assistance)

I'm trying to take things slow with the supplementary exercises. I will increase the reps and/or weight on each exercise after I get a few weeks under my belt. I haven't done a barbell row (or any row for that matter) in a few years.

For Wednesday - Deadlift.
    Last edited by beastmaster103; 09-27-2010 at 08:12 PM. Reason: incorrect calculation of starting weight

Quote Originally Posted by beastmaster103 View Post
    In addition, I've taken my calculated 1RM and multplied it by 90% twice to allow my body time to acclimate to the new routine. So, here are my calculated 1RM, at 81% (0.9 * 0.9) -
    I'm curious where you got this 81% idea. Wendler says to start with 90% of your true max.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    I'm curious where you got this 81% idea. Wendler says to start with 90% of your true max.
    I agree with this, it should be 90% of your 1rm. However, if you did a true rep max and got 9 reps then I think that is actually a good weight for you and perhaps you overestimated your actual 1rm.

have you tried the press on your knees instead of sitting?
    give it a go.

I read it incorrectly. He stated on page 24 that "he's had lifters start with 15% of their actual max and have great results."

I will modify the rest of my lifts to start at 85% of my true max. I'm not sure how I got that number. Oh, well...live and learn.

Quote Originally Posted by TTT View Post
    have you tried the press on your knees instead of sitting?
    give it a go.
    I have not. Maybe I will try that out.

To be honest 9 reps on a week 1 max rep set is about right, I wouldn't increase. I usually target 10-12 reps that week for my max. Once it starts getting much lower than that range I begin to run the risk of stalling. So for the press at least I would stay at that weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    To be honest 9 reps on a week 1 max rep set is about right, I wouldn't increase. I usually target 10-12 reps that week for my max. Once it starts getting much lower than that range I begin to run the risk of stalling. So for the press at least I would stay at that weight.
    Thanks, Paul. This was the first time in a long time where I had to continue with reps beyond the mythical number of 5. I think I'll get better at it as I go along. I'm going to keep the press calculation the same and modify the others to keep them in line. I'm just hoping I can continue gains and minimize stalling. Let's see how things workout tomorrow for the DL.

Definitely feel free to PM me with questions. I'm not an expert or anything, but I've had experience with the program and helping others on it and have found some things that work and some that don't.

Edit - and 9 reps is by no means bad. I guess what I was trying (poorly) to say is that I found the 10-12 rep range a good place to be to make gains.
    Last edited by Paul Sousa; 09-28-2010 at 08:38 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Definitely feel free to PM me with questions. I'm not an expert or anything, but I've had experience with the program and helping others on it and have found some things that work and some that don't.

Edit - and 9 reps is by no means bad. I guess what I was trying (poorly) to say is that I found the 10-12 rep range a good place to be to make gains.
    I appreciate you taking interest in my log and attempt at the 5/3/1. I will try to shoot for the 10-12 rep range on my 3 other lifts this first week of the cycle.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast