starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ludwig's Powerbuilding log

Default Ludwig's Powerbuilding log

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    New program, new log. Old log was here.

I'm doing a program devised by John Sheaffer which he should be explaining in an upcoming article. My current goal is to stop hearing that I'm stronger than I look. I started with this last week, but waited to post the new log because I was still getting a feel for the program. I'm still getting a feel for it now, but what the hell.

Stats:

6', 25 years old, 198 lbs.

Squat: 405x1
    DL: 510x1
    Press: 200x1
    Bench: 250x1

------------------

9/27/10

Decline bench 215x6 195x11

Decline bench still feels a little weird. My left wrist kept ending up hyper-extended under the bar, which was very uncomfortable. Weight still doesn't feel super heavy on the first set.

DB hammer curl 42.5x12 37.5x15

Squat 335x5 295x16

God damn. I just did 295x15 on Saturday and threw up a few minutes later. I felt like death after today's set, but fortunately there was no puking involved. What I'd really like to have is a soft bed that I can fall onto and lay very still for maybe 15 minutes after I finish the set. Instead I just sit somewhere and feel very uncomfortable and have to shift positions every minute or so. A dude came over and told me I "didn't look so good." I said "It's ok I just squatted a lot," but I could tell he didn't understand.

9/29/10

Lateral raise
    22.5x16

Press (rest pause)
    125 x 12, 2, 1

These felt good today, and I hit my 15 rep target. Still only got a couple of reps after the first set, but maybe that will improve as I get acclimated to this.

Yates row
    205x8
    185x12

I'm still not really sure about these.

DL 425 x 2, 1
    365x10

DLing heavy after doing the rows is really hard on my hands. Skin was ripping on the first set and I couldn't hold onto the bar anymore. I just ordered some straps. Fortunately I brought da ruckus on the second set.

Still getting re-adjusted to doing several difficult lifts in one session.

This is a pretty interesting program so far, I'll be interested to see how it goes.

Yeah man, it's certainly different than what I'm used to.

Change is good...just don't start doing tricep kickbacks with the pink dumbells (if you do them with the blue dumbells its okay).

John has me on something similar. I look forward to seeing your progress.

I was supposed to squat 295x17 today but I didn't feel up for it so I did some chest shit instead. Sorry.

10/1/10

DB fly
    30x15

DB bench
    55x12
    60x15

Lying triceps extensions
    67.5x15
    57.5x20

Pinwheel curl
    45x10
    37.5x14

Tonight's workout had a good beginning and a shitty ending. It was my first time lifting at a new gym which I'm pretty excited about. This place has chalk, 2 nice power racks, York competition powerlifting bars, 2 platforms, and bumper plates. It's run by a guy who has competed in weightlifting and runs clinics on the lifts. They have a DVD player and I saw the SS DVD sitting next to it.

10/5/10

Decline bench
    220x8*
    200x12*

I had to get used to a different decline bench setup just when I was starting to get accustomed to the last one, but it'll be ok. This was the first time decline bench felt like a legitimate PR. I couldn't have pushed out another rep on either of these sets.

DB hammer curl
    45x12
    40x15

Squat
    340x5
    295x8

The heavy set felt really heavy, but I got through it. Then I was planning on 295x17. I don't know what happened, I just felt like shit under the bar. I was really mad at myself for racking it. I guess I didn't eat well enough today. Or maybe I'm having problems recovering, or I'm just being a wuss. Hopefully I'll work through it.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    Then I was planning on 295x17. I don't know what happened, I just felt like shit under the bar. I was really mad at myself for racking it. I guess I didn't eat well enough today. Or maybe I'm having problems recovering, or I'm just being a wuss. Hopefully I'll work through it.
    These are all connected. Eat more, you will recover. Good work on the Decline. Bigger T shirts are in your immediate future.

starting strength coach development program
    10/7/10

Lateral raise
    25x12

Press (rest pause)
    130x11/2/0

Yates row
    215x8
    195x12

I got some straps from EFS. I feel like a jackass, but I couldn't quite get comfortable with how to use them. And I'm still not sure if I'm doing the Yates rows correctly -- it seems like I am, but I don't know that I'm feeling it in my lats. Could be that they're still too light.

DL
    425x5
    375x10

First set was strapless and hurt my hands. Second set I tried using the straps, but ditched them after 3 reps because they weren't helping. That was a pretty brutal set of DLs.

Here I must digress to mention the tag team display of queerness which was taking place in the vicinity of my platform while I was DLing. As I was setting up, these two bros came into the gym and began preparing to do some kind of ridiculous Men's Health/Crossfit bodyweight circuit bullshit. They spent no less than 15 minutes arranging the appropriate benches and boxes in the vicinity and discussing the order and timing of the movements they planned on performing, all the while obstructing my path and hindering my concentration as I was trying to load the bar and focus on the task at hand. Never before have I seen step ups performed with a partial range of motion, but there's a first time for everything I guess. I was just really offended at the way they defiled the gravitational well of masculinity created by my deadlifts with their tomfoolery. I really wanted to stop what I was doing, look at them and say "Look guys, I support gay rights and all, but do you think you could move the jazzercise class over there? Thanks."

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast