starting strength gym

Thread: Another skinny guy log

Default Another skinny guy log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Read the book, love it. Found the forums, love em.

Never been much of a gym person, although I've always stayed in decent shape (mainly from playing tons of golf all my life).

30 years old, 6'1" 147lbs! I was about 155 lbs and did p90x (pretty meh program and def not what I was looking for). Finding SS was like the best thing ever, looking forward to finally making some solid progress.

I eat healthy, and plan on continuing to do so. I've just increased my portions and am supplementing the rest of the calories with milk and natty peanut butter mixed with oats. Goal is 3,500 calories/day for now.

Joined your standard globo gym, but they do allow all the lifts and I think I'll be able to go unnoticed using chalk as well (shhhhh). Was worried about it being too busy, but as you all know...everyone was just crushing the circuit machines.

Day 1:

Squat: 105x5x3

Could've went a little heavier, but I think its about right for my first workset. My left thumb was bothering me some and I noticed my wrists weren't in the correct position so I will work on that before next workout.

Bench: 95x5x3

Was fine, struggled just a tad on the last rep of the last set but nothing too bad.

Deadlift: 135x5x3 (oops)

Dunno why I did 3 sets, brain fart...will be on track next time.

I will post some vids after my next workout hopefully so I can make sure my form is in check.

Ha Ha! You won't "forget" and do extra sets of dead lifts for much longer. Hope you do well.

Woke up today and am sore as all hell. Ate 3700 calories yesterday and will try and hit that again today and from here on out. Went to go buy some chalk, gonna have to order it online. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I've seen some people do deadlifts in place of PC's for the first couple weeks of SS. Should I do this as well or go ahead and start working on em?

Ty for well wishes Horowitz.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcH View Post
    Woke up today and am sore as all hell. Ate 3700 calories yesterday and will try and hit that again today and from here on out. Went to go buy some chalk, gonna have to order it online. Looking forward to tomorrow.

I've seen some people do deadlifts in place of PC's for the first couple weeks of SS. Should I do this as well or go ahead and start working on em?

Ty for well wishes Horowitz.
    Welcome and good luck.

Where did you pick the 3.5k cal target from? Sounds low. Have you read the clarification article? (http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf)

Personally, I think your upside could be EPIC provided you don't screw yourself with inadequate diet.

Quote Originally Posted by slowjoe View Post
    Welcome and good luck.

Where did you pick the 3.5k cal target from? Sounds low. Have you read the clarification article? (http://startingstrength.com/articles...n_rippetoe.pdf)

Personally, I think your upside could be EPIC provided you don't screw yourself with inadequate diet.
    Well I basically just kinda pulled that number out of my ass and it sounded ok with me. Used one of the online "maintenance calorie counter" thingamajigs and it said I needed 2500 to stay where I am. So figured 3500 would be enough for gains.

I now see that I need to get more inline with the actual program (ty for the clarification article). I don't think I'll be able to get in 6000, would 4500 do the trick? I'd be fine with missing out on like 10 lbs of mass and 20lbs on my squat.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help...gonna move my log over to the forum that got me into SS in the first place. Will prob still post vids here for form checks in the appropriate forum and whatnot. Doing full whole milk gomad now and eating like a cow...ready to grow.

Thanks again.

Considering you're not exactly built like a bull, 4.5k might be quite close to what you want initially in proportion to bodyweight. Along with that, full GOMAD may not be necessary until you gain 20-30lbs.

It would be a shame if you quit the program because the food was too much of a burden.

Just keep an eye on the scales if your progress stalls.

starting strength coach development program
    Ty Joe, will keep that in mind.