starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: depth of squats

Default depth of squats

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    hello!
    i am confused about the depth of the squats. i see a lots of squats where people say they are full, but according to what Rip say they aren't.

how are these?

I see you've found some of Deus Ex Machina's videos. Those to me are perfect parallel squats. He hits parallel and goes no deeper. For the low bar squat I would say these are perfect.

It looks to me that your are mostly getting parallel. Which is fine, thats what rip teaches. To get a parallel squat, not many people can get much below parallel on a low bar squat, especially if they have thick thighs.

This diagram shows how to determine a parallel squat:

You are also using a lot of weight! (amazing intensity) it would be tough to criticise minor depth variations.

Full Squats are normally understood to be high bar squats where your hamstrings go right down and hit your calves. Sometimes referred to as an "olympic squat"

Here is a diagram by tommoy kono comparing an olympic full squat vs a low bar parallel squat vs a horrible squat.

It is difficult to do a "full squats" without weightlifting shoes and good dose of flexibility in your hips.

Dastardly, two things.

First, unless it is Deus Ex trolling then the vids are not of the OP.

Second, figure B in TK's illustration is not a low bar squat, it is an incorrect high bar squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Sousa View Post
    Dastardly, two things.

First, unless it is Deus Ex trolling then the vids are not of the OP.

Second, figure B in TK's illustration is not a low bar squat, it is an incorrect high bar squat.
    It looks like that in the picture, but I read an article that went along with it which mentioned bar positioning and such.

I recognized the videos but thought deus ex mightve joined with a new username.

I would assume since it says figure B is incorrect, and one of the errors is the back angle, then it is an image of an incorrect high bar squat.

And if it is Deus (which I doubt) than I would assme this is a troll post as his squat depth has been discussed before.

Pretty fucking strong guy. Racking backwards, though...

For me the first three reps of the first vid are, as Rip would say, just a pube high. But we're really talking marginally, and it's fucking hard to judge depth when it's this close on youtube IMO.

Squats in the OP are exactly below parallel and not an inch deeper, which is fine, and in fact preferred if you're doing low bar and just trying to shift as much weight as possible.

Figure “A” shows the body in an upright position which places all the stress on the thighs when coming out of the deep squat. Figure “B” illustrates the squat with the back inclined forward which takes most of the stress off the thighs and places it on the back. “B” technique employs a larger number of muscle groups so a greater load can be handled in the squat but it does not improve the cleaning ability. This is the style usually employed by powerlifters to get record poundage. Many powerlifters not employ this style but also ride the bar NOT ON THE SHOULDERS but lower down the back; that is, below the rear deltoids. They often use an extremely wide stance which brings into play muscle groups of the inner thighs. The MORE MUSCLE GROUPS EMPLOYED AT ONE TIME THE GREATER THE WEIGHT THAT CAN BE HANDLED. But, it doesn’t mean that the cleaning ability will improve.
    http://ditillo2.blogspot.com/2008/08...ommy-kono.html

starting strength coach development program
    Right, I still don't see it as an accurate picture of a low bar squat. I still see the bar positioning as being too high, which is also why the vertcal line shows the COG of the bar is forward of midfoot. To me it is a picture of how not to perform a high bar squat, not a picture of how to perform a low bar.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast