starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recorded myself squatting. Opinions?

Default Recorded myself squatting. Opinions?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I used a belt for the first time for squats today. I think I may have set it too tight for the first set and felt like something teared below the navel on the right side, but it doesn't hurt so I supposed nothing happened.

Two sets of 4s. 110 kg / 242.5 lbs

How bad is it? It was a bit heavy for me, I almost couldn't get up on the 5th set.

We usually do low bar squats around here.

looked okay. a little extra deep, but that's okay. What's this about a 5th set?

And cut off your squats at right below parallel.

Quote Originally Posted by misspelledgeoff View Post
    We usually do low bar squats around here.
    I've never thought about that, I just set the bar to a comfortable position...

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    looked okay. a little extra deep, but that's okay. What's this about a 5th set?
    Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    And cut off your squats at right below parallel.
    I as going to ask Rip about this a while ago. I can't do the but wink or bounce without going as deep as I can. It's actually harder to stop mid way for me... Does that make any sense?

Well, you're doing high bar, so you pretty much have to go all the way down.

Quote Originally Posted by stratoo View Post
    I as going to ask Rip about this a while ago. I can't do the but wink or bounce without going as deep as I can. It's actually harder to stop mid way for me... Does that make any sense?
    Do you do a lot of flexibility warm ups before squatting? Sometimes mobility can actually hinder a powerlifting squat.

Quote Originally Posted by gzt View Post
    Well, you're doing high bar, so you pretty much have to go all the way down.
    Gonna have to do some reading on that...

Quote Originally Posted by skills101 View Post
    Do you do a lot of flexibility warm ups before squatting? Sometimes mobility can actually hinder a powerlifting squat.
    Not a lot but I spend at least 5 minutes warming up the joints. I'm pretty flexible though. I'll try doing low bar squats next time.

You are doing a type of squat which goes against the method taught in SS in many ways.

You are squatting high bar, a method which has its own fans and stalwarts (not many here) . If you post your video to Rip, he will not give you feedback, he will just ask if youve read the book, at best. Something which you clearly havent.

The type of squat taught in SS, is a low bar parallel squat of which the big critical element is hamstring tension. The effective use of which, Rip calls "hip drive".

You are losing hamstring tension, going too deep and hitting your thighs on your calves. Something which puts unfavourable strain on the knees and which gives you assistance out of the bottom.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by stratoo View Post
    I can't do the but wink or bounce without going as deep as I can. It's actually harder to stop mid way for me... Does that make any sense?
    Yes it does make sense. You are performing a high bar squat in the correct way. The bottom is when you hit your ankles with your ass. You should make no attempt to cut these off right below parallel.

Low bar squats entail more horizontal back angle and a stretch of the hamstrings at the bottom. For most people, the max stretch of the hams at the bottom will be a couple of inches below parallel. To get any lower in a low-bar squat, you'd have to relax something (eg, hamstrings or low back) and this is not good.

most on this forum do low bar squats as it involves more musculature and thus allows more weight to be used and more overall strength to be developed.

You should buy and read the book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast