starting strength gym

Thread: Deadlift form check

Default Deadlift form check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Here's my DLing 370x5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yji5FgUGBqY

Does it look like there's too much back rounding going on here? Sorry for the somewhat crappy angle.

Thanks for having a look.

Those look pretty solid. You could extend your lumbar spine a bit more at the beginning, but you never go into serious flexion. Sometimes your butt rises before the bar breaks from the floor, although it is not too pronounced. This can be solved by moving your shoulders just slightly forward. On the whole, they look good for a heavy set of 5.

Thanks for having a look. I will keep an eye on lumbar flexion in the future. I also think I need to remember to keep my butt high at the beginning to avoid allowing it to raise first.

Maybe it's being too picky, but the bar path is not vertical on the way down. It moves forward to go past your knees. Try making sure you clear your knees before they bend...

I could be wrong as I'm fairly new to the program - but isn't that an unacceptable amount of back rounding, I was cringing for the guys poor spine as I watched this.

I dunno about the back but I do know that lowering the bar without bending your knees means you can't shove your hips back and you're just bending straight over. I also know that it's impossible for me to lower the bar while keeping it in contact with my thighs if I want the bar path to be vertical. As soon as you move your hips back, your thighs move back too thus destroying your vertical bar path if you want to keep the bar in contact with them. Even the diagram in starting strength showing the bar being lowered while in contact with your thighs is not a vertical path. (P179, power clean section)

Quote Originally Posted by shanuea View Post
    I could be wrong as I'm fairly new to the program - but isn't that an unacceptable amount of back rounding, I was cringing for the guys poor spine as I watched this.
    You should watch some other deadlift videos to get an idea of what a rounded back looks like on a deadlift.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hedon View Post
    Here's my DLing 370x5: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yji5FgUGBqY

Does it look like there's too much back rounding going on here? Sorry for the somewhat crappy angle.

Thanks for having a look.

Your set-up was good, however, if you watch the first rep, after you set your shins against the bar, note the height of your hips at that point. That's where they should stay. When you look back down over your left shoulder, you drop them slightly. Don't. Finally, you never really get your chest good and "squoze" up. Squeeze it up more. And then a little bit more. You were not quite in extension, but you held the back position well, so it's just something to work on, not to be alarmed about. But work on it you should, as well as the comment above on how to lower the bar.