starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Look at me! Bench Form Check Please

Default Look at me! Bench Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Ok, I've never asked for a form check on bench press 'cause everyone knows that, duh. But just in case you have any suggestions on how to be even more awesome, here it is:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl6CW9wUWgc

190lbs.

Are you actively thinking about pulling your scapulas together? The ROM looks long to me, but it might be cause you have long arms.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatson View Post
    Are you actively thinking about pulling your scapulas together? The ROM looks long to me, but it might be cause you have long arms.
    I'm thinking about it. I guess it's pretty hard to tell if I'm actually doing it on video. I think I am, I've got most of my upper body weight on them and it seems to feel right.

have you watched the so you think you can bench videos of tate? watch it, its up to you if you would follow his style or not in terms of the elbow positioning but his setup and mechanics tips are very useful.

a good quote from him is that you should be uncomfortable when you bench, meaning you should be squeezing every square inch of your body.

but to me it seems like you just layed on the bench, fixed a few things, then benched. Rip style or PL style, being tight is the same thing

Squeeze your shoulder blades hard before you even pick up the bar, that works for me.

But other than that it looks as good as it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by simonsky View Post
    have you watched the so you think you can bench videos of tate? watch it, its up to you if you would follow his style or not in terms of the elbow positioning but his setup and mechanics tips are very useful.

a good quote from him is that you should be uncomfortable when you bench, meaning you should be squeezing every square inch of your body.

but to me it seems like you just layed on the bench, fixed a few things, then benched. Rip style or PL style, being tight is the same thing
    Yeah, I watched Tates stuff. I was surprised when I watched my video how little you could actually see. It feels like I'm doing more. I'm know I'm not going to quite the same lengths as Tate recommends.
    I've got a little bridge going with the back, not extreme, but I think you can see it. What else do you think I should be able to see in a good setup?

your bench looks good, its just that in the video you look like you just layed on the bench and benched, well maybe its just the video. and i'm not talking about the arch, it just seems to me that you are a little bit loose and not squeezing enough.

you can see that your elbows are wiggling on some reps, those could be fixed by squeezing the bar apart. and let someone kick your leg when you bench, if your leg moves you are not tight enough.

Good stuff simonsky. I noticed the wobbly elbows too. I can definitely use that squeezing the bar apart cue. I'll get one of my boys to try the leg kicking thing.

of course only on warm ups haha!

one more thing about your hand-off, you don't have to do this but it may help. what you are doing is pressing the bar then pulling it to your starting position, try doing both at the same time sort of like a skull-crusher movement or a straight arm lat pulldown.

starting strength coach development program
    How are you breathing when you bench? It's hard to see anything at that angle since the plates block the view.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast