starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Highergr0und wants to get strong

Default Highergr0und wants to get strong

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I've done the weight loss thing before, a long while ago.... 130 lbs. Took a while to get there (16 months for the first 100, a few more months for the rest) and kept it off for several years. It was a pure diet and running thing. 6'2" and 170 lbs. Then I moved down South. Got lazy. Got married. Eat like crap. I've put about 50 back on.

I know there are no shortcuts, magic pills, or any of that crap. It always pissed people off too when they would ask what I did to get from A to B and I told them the truth.

I've never really lifted weights. I look forward to the challenge. Rather than go back to 1500-1600 calories a day and walking/running, I've decided to put on muscle.

Right now I'm at 228, about 6'2". I estimate my body fat to be in the 30s somewhere. I should have my tape soon to try and measure a bit better. I am not strong, but will be soon.

I just finished my 4th workout...... Here's my log so far. I erred towards the low side on everything. I did not push for PRs since I know I'm weak. The only weight I lifted more on for fun was the DL. I got 205 up fairly easily for 1 rep but didn't want to risk injury so I dropped it way back down. I'll likely accelerate that one fastest.

Workout #1
    Squats 3x5 @ 55 lbs
    Bench 1x5, 2x8 @ 55 lbs (no 10 lb plates at the time.... stupid story so I won't go there, just upped the reps a bit)
    Deadlift 1x5 115 lbs

Workout #2 (bought some 10 lb plates)
    Squats 3x5 @ 75
    Press 3x5 @ 55
    Power Clean 5x3 @ 65 (spent a long time learning to catch the empty bar.... just like detailed in the book)

Workout #3
    Squats 3x5 @ 85
    Bench 3x5 @ 75
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 135

Workout #4
    Squats 3x5 @ 95
    OHP 3x5 @ 65
    Power Cleans 5x3 @ 75

Squat 3x5 @ 115
    Bench 3x5 @ 90
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 155

I know I'm still below what a lot of folks are starting with, but that's just motivation.

Quote Originally Posted by highergr0und View Post

I know I'm still below what a lot of folks are starting with, but that's just motivation.
    That's quite alright, I'm sure with bodyfat to spare and good jumps you'll get your numbers way up in no time. My first time around my deadlift nearly doubled(from 165 to 325) in just over two months, so just stay motivated and enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by The Brute View Post
    That's quite alright, I'm sure with bodyfat to spare and good jumps you'll get your numbers way up in no time. My first time around my deadlift nearly doubled(from 165 to 325) in just over two months, so just stay motivated and enjoy it!
    What he said.

So, you give the program an extra two weeks or something? That's entirely your choice. Anyone without a world class lift that judges others on their starting weights has issues.

Anyway, welcome and good luck.

Thanks for the kind words and hope..... Deadlift is probably my easiest feeling exercise although I know I'll eat those words once the weight gets heavy. The power cleans are the most fun, still need to work hard on form. Squats are the hardest, just seem to be exposing a lot of weak muscles. Found myself looking straight forward during my first set today and felt like my neck was gonna explode and now I feel a little pull in my upper back. Got to be careful there but it actually felt better and went away when I continued, think I'm not holding everything tight enough.

The good thing is that each time I'm adding weight, it's not feeling much harder, if any, than the last time.

Out of town Friday, and Saturday. Lifted today, moving this week to Tues, Thurs (hopefully the hotel is decent, out of town again so schedule means I miss one at most), and Sat.

Squats 3x5 @ 125
    OHP 3x5 @ 70
    Power Clean 5x3 @ 85
    Last edited by highergr0und; 10-10-2010 at 05:01 PM.

Squats 3x5 @ 135 Actually felt pretty good to look at two big plates on the bar and get under it.
    Bench 3x5 @ 100
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 175

I missed my Thursday workout with my out of town work going bad.....

Today
    Squat 3x5 @ 140
    OHP 3x5 @ 75
    Power Clean 5x3 @ 95

Totally done doing 10 lb jumps on anything but the deadlift (going from 20 to 10 there for 1-2 more weeks). Sadly, out of town this entire week. Luckily it's training and not working so I should be able to squeeze some work in.

Decided to wake up at 4am to get in a workout before my flight for fear of missing more.... Back late Friday, so now I only risk missing one if at all.

Squat 3x5 @ 145
    Bench 3x5 @ 105
    Deadlift 1x5 @ 185

starting strength coach development program
    Back from the trip.... of course missed the mid week workout. In town for a while now

Squat 3x5 @ 150
    OHP 3x5 @ 80
    Power Clean 5x3 @ 100

Put myself on video for the squats today. Pretty terrible. Apparently feel is rarely real here, just like with my golf swing. My depth was lacking even though I was sure I was going down far. Hit a few extra sets with just the bar making sure to go low. At least my back looked good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast