starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Train Like the Guy Who's Going to Squat 500 in 2011

Default Train Like the Guy Who's Going to Squat 500 in 2011

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Had a great consultation with John Sheaffer of Greyskull yesterday. The guy flat out knows his shit and is a real good dude to talk with. It's apparent within the first two or three minutes that: 1) he is 100% invested in your progress, and 2) he's got an encylopedic knowledge of the nutrition and training game. Great stuff and we are lucky to have him here on the board.

Some background: hit a novice progression this summer, brought weights up to 300/230/365/147.5/170 (sq/b/dead/press/pc) but dropped out of it at the sudden apperance of some hip issues and the gradual realization there was too much fat gain happening (like 20% bf to 25% or so) b/c of an increasingly shitty diet.

Did some conditioning, cleaned up the diet for a while, dropped abt 20 lbs of mostly fat, and am ready to light it up and just get freaking strong.

At John's suggestion, I'll be hitting a linear progression per his recent programming detailed here, among other threads. Squats 2x/wk to allow for a little more recovery and some hip cooling, chins and curls as accessory work, hill sprints one or two days a week, and a general commitment to train like a guy who plans on squatting 500 in 2011. Because I'm aiming everything there.

And so, in the words of Al Bundy: let's rock.
    Last edited by JustinK; 10-07-2010 at 05:02 PM.

Tomorrow is the first training day--doing a Sat/Mon/Wed split, with hills on Thursday (and once or twice a month on Mon after training as well).

A little more background for folks checking in: I'm 36, 5'8", 203. Eventually I'd like to start training the Oly lifts, but I've identified strength as the sole priority right now. There's time to re-learn the lifts once I'm strong enough to look at the prospect of cleaning 185 with a chuckle.

I'm going to try to make this log more of a narrative. Less because I think I have a lot to say--I don't--and more because I really enjoy reading the logs of folks who throw in little stories about their eating, training, etc. Fun to read. Hope mine can be enjoyable and helpful on some level in that regard.

Yesterday's meal 4-5, Today's Meal 4:
    2 lbs ground beef (grassfed)
    package of Trader Joe's tail-off Shrimp
    Tiny bit of chicken broth
    Package of shredded green cabbage
    1 yellow onion, diced

Works great as a standalone or over some greens. Just have to be careful not to throw the cabbage in too soon if you are like me and not a big fan of that gamey, overcooked cabbage taste.

This is perfect timing. I'm in the midst of training ADD and came on JP's link to this log. My numbers are almost identical to yours (300 sq, 227.5 bp, 365 dl, 150 press, 180 pc). I'm 37 and 210 pounds at 5'10". I think I'll give this program a shot as well, and will be following your closely. Good luck!

Thanks Tartan. Nice to have a virtual training partner. Good luck to you as well!

N.B., I realize my modest squat # doesn't necessarily indicate a jump to a 500 lb max is in the cards for 2011. But it doesn't wholly contraindicate either--so I went with that title. Sounds better than 400 at any rate. We'll go hard and see how things shake out. Consistency and modest, steady jumps are the keys, training-wise.

2nd N.B., my current squat is likely not 300 for sets across, not after a period of conditioning work. Likewise w/my other #s. So if you're following along: I'll be starting out about 20% lower than I left off.

We are going to squat 500 this year...I just went to Greyskull yesterday and we are basically in the same boat. I squat 300 for 3|5, Dead 385x5, Press 142.5 for 3|5, Bench 200 for 3|5...

We are on the same program...lets do it.

I don't know you, Squatson, but in the words of Mike Burgener, that post fired my ass up.

Thanks! Let's rock.

Quote Originally Posted by JustinK View Post
    Thanks Tartan. Nice to have a virtual training partner. Good luck to you as well!

N.B., I realize my modest squat # doesn't necessarily indicate a jump to a 500 lb max is in the cards for 2011. But it doesn't wholly contraindicate either--so I went with that title. Sounds better than 400 at any rate. We'll go hard and see how things shake out. Consistency and modest, steady jumps are the keys, training-wise.

2nd N.B., my current squat is likely not 300 for sets across, not after a period of conditioning work. Likewise w/my other #s. So if you're following along: I'll be starting out about 20% lower than I left off.
    It certainly doesn't indicate it, but it doesn't contraindicate it, either. This thread inspired me to make my "500 by the end of this year" thread because I am going to do it. I was about where you are 1 year ago, so it's definitely possible.

Thanks GZT. Checked out your log--awesome stuff. You're aimed at 500 for sure.

10/9/10--Training
    Warmup: 2.5 min run, 2.5 min shoulder & hip openers
    Will likely move to a standard w.u from here: 200 singles on jumprope plus DeFranco's Simple Six and Agile 8

Press
    Empty Bar x 5 x 2
    70 x 5
    100 x 3
    Work: 120 x 5
    120 x 5
    120 x Max=11 reps

Felt solid. Narrow grip works best for me. Haven't lost too much on the press in my three months off from linear progression--I suspect the mounds of barbell complexes I did for conditioning helped me more or less hold serve there.

DB Curls
    35 lbs x 12 x 2

Kept these fairly strict--elbows nice and tight, very minimal body english.

Squat
    Empty Bar x 5
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    Work: 235 x 5
    235 x 5
    235 x Max=8 reps

Was meant to do 245, but went cautious today: 135 is the barometer for me in terms of squats--when I get under 135 and blast my 5, I don't hesitate to push it, but when 135 feels a little iffy, as it did today, I err on the side of caution. Max rep set felt best, though I need to keep upper back tighter throughout. I squat with a fairly upright torso, so if I'm not pinning my shoulder blades together and pulling the bar down, it's easy for me to dive forward towards my knees and lose a little bit of the sitback. Something to watch.

All in all, a great first day. Can't wait until my squat barometer is 225 instead of 135.

10/11/10--Training

Warmup: 5 Minutes on C2 Rower
    Training at a local gym today, this is a perfect default w/u when training there since I don't have access to a C2 elsewhere and I always feel warm, loose, and good after five minutes or so.

Bench Press
    Empty Bar x 5 x 2
    95 x 5
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    Work: 200 x 5
    200 x 5
    200 x Max=9 reps

Having a good spotter for the max set is nice. Went in looking for seven, maybe eight. Flaring elbows a bit more than I'd like, will work on that next time during warmup sets.

Chins
    3 Max sets w/2 min rest btw sets: 10, 9, 8

Not much to say. Bar is thinner than I like. Skin got pinched. Went and had a good cry and then got ready to pull.

Deadlift
    135 x 5
    185 x 5
    225 x 3
    275 x 2
    Work Set: 295 x Max=8 reps

I'm not totally sure if I got 8 or 9. I remember hitting 8, but I also kind of remember hitting 9, although that could have been the 9th rep on the bench I'm thinking of. Left my log in the car. Either way, felt pretty good. Squeezing the bar up rather than arm-pulling; first time in about three months that I've pulled in Chucks rather than Do-Wins. Verdict: back to the Chucks. These just felt right.

starting strength coach development program
    Al Bundy FTW ! !

I also know how hard it is to loose weight, while trying to obtain levels of walrus throwing strength. Especially now since I hurt my right flank and cant sprint or do anything high impact for shit right now, but my dumbass probolly will anyway.

What kind of diet are you following btw? Im on a carb cycle that's kinda working.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast