starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: hamburgerfan's log: the strongening

Default hamburgerfan's log: the strongening

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Squat: 295 lbs, 3x5
    Felt pretty heavy, I needed a few breaths between the last few reps of set 3. Form was pretty solid though, I'll be moving on up to 300 on monday.

Press: 95 lbs, 2x5, 1x8
    Went for max reps in the last set, I got the idea from the press PR thread.

Power Clean:
    Doing power cleans today did little else but prove that I really suck at power cleans. I loaded the bar with 95 lbs, and did various sets of power cleans and hang cleans, but didn't get the technique right. I'll be reading up on them in SS today.

Chinups: Starting today, I'll be greasing the groove. I never saw much improvement in my chinning ability doing 3 sets to failure every other workout. I'll start by doing 1 chinup every time I pass my bar (which is a lot), and I think I'll achieve much greater volume this way.

A little background information:
    I started strength training with the stronglifts program in march of this year. I started with the empty bar, and after 5 months, I squatted 260 lbs for 5x5. After 8 weeks on SS, these are my lifts:

Squat: 295 lbs 3x5
    Deadlift: 265 lbs x5
    Bench Press: 160 lbs 3x5
    Press: 110 lbs 3x5

Height: 5'9"
    Weight: about 186 lbs
    Last edited by hamburgerfan; 10-08-2010 at 11:49 AM.

Nice work on the squats! I'll keep an eye on your log. What's up with your dead being so much lower than the squat??

I just suck at deadlifting. I was held back for a long time by poor technique. Even now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's still just a very hard lift for me compared to the squat.

I'm a former StrongLifts trainee myself, though I didn't stick it out as long as you have. Anyway, nice work thus far with your training. I think you'll feel at home here and hopefully you'll be able to make even more progress thus far.

As to your dead lift, I've had a hard time with it in times past as well. As a matter of fact, when I came here to SS I was on a deload, the result of tweaking my back. So my dead lift and squat started out the same, at 135 or so, and the dead lift lagged. I didn't want to deload the deadlift so far, but I did. It was silly of me, but what the Hell, I'd have been a whole lot better off going from there and not monkeying with it, which I did. See below.

My advice is, learn that movement and learn it well. Let the progress climb, but don't rush it. You can add more to it in the beginning, but not as you move on and you've been in it for a while. I rushed my dead lift once, putting 20 pounds on it per session for three consecutive sessions as I recall. That. Was. STUPID. Don't ever do that. No matter where your dead lift is at, always make consistant weight increases with it, 5 is good, 10 pounds TOPS. Don't fucking rush it. That's the advice I have for you.

Keep training, keep posting. Keep hitting new PRs. Good luck buddy!

Squat: 3x5 @ 300 lbs
    Fuck yeah, new PR. Felt very heavy today, but I'm only 25 lbs away from my end of year goal.

Bench Press: 5/5/4 @ 160 lbs
    I felt like should have been able to make that last rep, but my wrist was killing me and that made things more difficult.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 225 lbs
    Working up from a reset. Wasn't too heavy, and form was good.

well done dude.

Thanks.

Squat: 3x5 @ 305 lbs
    Didn't go as deep as I would have liked, I uploaded a form video here.

Overhead Press: 3x5 @ 100 lbs
    I intended to do more reps in the last set, but I failed after 5 reps, probably due to losing my balance early on and wasting energy correcting it.

Hang Clean: 5x3 @ 95 lbs
    I thought these went pretty well.
    Last edited by hamburgerfan; 10-13-2010 at 06:22 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Squat: 3x5 @ 310 lbs
    15 slow and difficult reps, but each one buried well below parallel. I did some grunting and yelling during the last set. It seemed to help.

Bench Press: 3x5 @ 160 lbs
    Just 5 lbs away from where I stalled last time.

Deadlift: 1x5 @ 235 lbs
    I need to keep working on my technique. Maybe I'll post a form video next time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast