starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turning back the clock

Post Turning back the clock

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok, I know you can't really turn back the clock, but I have committed myself to looking as good as I did in my 20s; a feat I would have seen as impossible after 2 kids and a decade of laziness and poor nutrition.

A friend encouraged me to join a gym and train. I knew very little at the time, but I was encouraged to do squats, and dead lifts, and overhead press, all of which I really sucked at in the beginning. But I am naturally strong for my size, so I saw gains rather quickly. After about a year and a half of on and off training (a wicked running related hip injury, and a minor medical issue got me off track for a bit), I am ready to get serious and this log will hopefully keep me accountable.

I am 5'3" and when I started I weighed about 145 lbs. I am currently 123 lbs and no longer using the scale as a means of measuring success. The only weight I care about is what I put on the bar.

So here goes: the numbers are hardly impressive, but that is why I am posting, to push myself

DAY 1 Week 1 of 5/3/1
    squat: 85x5, 95x5, 110x6

followed with some hamstring work (good mornings), calf raises, and back raises

I generally do a 5-10 minute cardio warm-up and cool down

feeling pretty good, probably could have pushed a little harder, but I lack a training partner and there is no sense in over training to the point of injury.

Welcome-

Do you have a program?

She stated in the thread, she's doing 5/3/1. We all start somewhere but it doesn't matter where you start. What matters is where you end up. Keep up the good work.

My apologies, missed that. In any case, good luck!

I get points for getting my lazy butt to the gym. Had every reason not to go, but went anyway.

as I stated before, I am new to 5/3/1. I tried it last spring but was very inconsistent. I have a crunchy left shoulder and at this point do not want to push the bench press. I have substituted the incline db press, and that will have to work for now.

Week 1, Day 2
    db incline press
    10x15, 4x10x20

db shoulder press
    4x10x20

close grip bench superset with bench dips
    3x10x45, 3x10 dips

chins
    2 unassisted
    5x5 w 25lb assist

side note: I am a germaphobe, so the gym is a scary place. Today tops the charts though. Someone left toenail clippings all over the black mat. What is wrong with people? I almost left, but I pushed through. Amanda 1, Toenails 0. Now I need Silkwood shower.

"80% of success is just showing up."

Looks like you got some quality work in despite the lack of motivation, great job!

And don't listen to any of these yahoo's if they start with "if you change the program, you aren't really doing 5/3/1" crap. The bench press is so overrated.

And the toenail thing is disgusting. I can't even imagine what kind of ass would clip their nails at the gym. But then again, I've seen enough retarded behavior at the gym that it unfortunately doesn't surprise me.

Hey, thanks. I have never done anything by the book or followed all the rules.... why start now?

I like the 5/3/1 idea, I throw in what I can to keep it fun. Here is what I do know; I can DL and squat with better form than most of the men at the gym. The bench will get there, eventually. But for now, I am only thinking about today.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Gannon View Post
    And don't listen to any of these yahoo's if they start with "if you change the program, you aren't really doing 5/3/1" crap. The bench press is so overrated.
    Well, with all due respect to Amanda, there's changing 5/3/1, and then there's doing something totally different. I don't see what that last workout has to do with 5/3/1, but maybe I'm missing something. There's nothing wrong with doing your own thing, and I'm not sure if 5/3/1 would be the best fit in this situation anyway, but I also don't know what the point is in doing your own thing and calling it 5/3/1.

Maybe Amanda could explain her programming?
    Last edited by LudwigVan; 10-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.

Respectfully LudwigVan, I am doing what is good for my left shoulder. So on my bench press day, I work the same muscle groups with alternate movements. I tell you what... check back in say 1 month, then critique. Or are you just another one of those gym talkers who is bothered by a real woman hogging the squat rack? (wink wink, I kid) totally cool with your feedback. Bring it.

Or is it that I am female and perhaps my lifting "defiles your gravitational well of masculinity"?
    Last edited by Amanda Peterson; 10-12-2010 at 07:32 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    Nope, I lift with my girlfriend, who until recently was doing 5/3/1. I was just curious about your programming and thought maybe you could explain it and one of us might learn something. I didn't offer any critique. Sorry if I sounded insensitive.
    Last edited by LudwigVan; 10-12-2010 at 09:58 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast