starting strength gym

Thread: What to do while waiting?

Default What to do while waiting?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I just received my SS book yesterday and I am motivated to start lifting. What programs should I ease into while reading the book? I want to get back into the habit of going to the gym but I dont want to waste my time nor start to hard. Any suggestions for an easy routine to get my body used to moving those muscles again? Thanks.

Why not just start? The book tells you how.

If you read slow, then, well, damn, I don't know, do some pushups and pullups or something.

If you want a quick start (ie, not reading everything at once), read the squat section, the bench press section, and the deadlift section, then read the last chapter about starting out and programming and whatever, and go to the gym and do those lifts as prescribed. If you're a very slow reader, I don't know, read the squat section, the bench press section, and the section at the end that tells you how to start out, go to the gym, do those, and then read the rest.

Read the squat section. Take notes. Then read the bench section, and take notes. Repeat. Forget the gym until Monday. If you go and do things wrong, you'll need to unlearn before you learn.

Practice the "move the knees out with the elbows" stretch. Stretch out your chest so that you can keep your wrists straight. 25% of people (lame-ass guess) doing the program get elbow problems from poor flexibility. Stretch 3 times a day for 15 minutes a time.

I just finished the book and I am going to be starting up on Monday. I am working the night shift so I am trying to figure out the best time during my day to lift. I will update the logs. Thanks.