starting strength gym

Thread: squat form check

Default squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    My squats had been going well but today i had back pain when i bent over, after the second set. Can you please critique my video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZyM3Bxn2CM

OK, the vid is kind of poor. Some suggestions for the future: Have whoever is shooting shoot the vid from a quarter angle and get down so the camera is about waist level.

Given that, a couple of things I see:
    1. You aren't deep enough (at least on rep 2 and onward- although rep 1 looks about the same depth by background comparison). Your short by 2-6" every rep.
    2. Your lower back is soft. Have you done the proprioception drills from the book?

thanks, i will start going deeper, and by drills do u mean the superman stretch?

yep, although I don't consider it a stretch. Shrug.

ok i want to make my squat perfect so aside from depth, i need to tense my lower back muscles all the way through to keep them rigid, which is the same feeling i get in the superman position correct? anything else wrong in my squat, break at the hips right?

a:
    there is not enugh hup drive in yore squat
    b:
    there is no arch enugh. arch yore back before evry rap.
    c:
    before you start squating strech and arch youre back. it will hellp you arch on the set.

I cannot see your lower back for most of the video, but you don't appear to be going into any kind of serious flexion. You don't need to worry about doing superman drills at the moment, nor do you need to arch "yore" back more. Depth is really tough to make out from that angle, but I do agree that you may be shallow. The primary issue I see with your squat is that you are too uprright. The low bar back squat has a more inclined torso angle than what you are doing. Sit back a little more and allow yourself to lean over a bit. This will help to involve your hamstrings. Once you get those things ironed out, you will be in good shape. Also, for tips on recording better videos for form checks, check this out:

http://startingstrength.com/resource...t=16744&page=1
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 10-27-2010 at 02:53 PM.

starting strength coach development program
    i hope that is not the case, beacuse all yesterday night and this morning i had some lower back pain right above my bum that was really uncomfortable, I seem to have back pains whenever my squat form isn't 100% and i hate that, but i need to perfect it, will going deeper make my back more horizontal? And would how I unracked the bar have anything to do with this back pain, it was going away but after a hockey game tonight has come back, i may have to skip tomorrows workout which has squats and deads