starting strength gym
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Not another high-bar thread

Default Not another high-bar thread

• starting strength seminar october 2024
    • starting strength seminar december 2024
    I just wanted to ask if anyone has successfully switched to high-bar squats?

I have been thinking of doing it. (But only after my first meet next month, if I do go.)

My training partner has switched to high bar-ish because he couldn't keep to bar in place with low bar squats.

Quote Originally Posted by Carlos Daniel View Post
    My training partner has switched to high bar-ish because he couldn't keep to bar in place with low bar squats.
    Hah, yeah, I almost had an accident Friday.

I think I am squatting somewhat high-bar-ish since I tend to keep my torse more upright then others. Which I suppose contributed to the bar slipping down my back. I don't know.

Don't crucify me. I want to switch to high bar because I feel like it builds better for leg strength. Low-bar squats and deadlifts are hitting my posterior chain more than enough, too much even. I think that a high-bar squat and standard deadlifts would be more balanced. Also that would allow me to train deads more often, I think.

I also think that high-bar squats and deadlifts will increase my low-bar squats.

Correct me if I am wrong. This is why I posted the thread in the first place.

I switched to high bar a while ago. Check my log to see how my technique has improved.

It took a lot of time and hardwork to unlearn the low bar technique and develop the right kind of flexbility. I switched because I have a knee, hamstring AND shoulder problem that low bar was aggrevating. High bar olympic style squats are something I always thought looked cool, and I lusted after the longer ROM for the leg it seemed to offer. It also seemed that it would put my body in a better position (I have long legs/short torso) without me being so bent over.

My weights on it are still pathetically light, and I only just learned to get properly deep. So Im not going to post them here, but if anyones curious to see what the high bar squats of an extremely inflexible person with a missing cruciate ligament and torn meniscii looks like. Head over.

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post

I also think that high-bar squats and deadlifts will increase my low-bar squats.
    Not true. You really need to train low bar squats hard and often to keep them strong. You will lose the ability quickly if you dont train them.

Look at those legs... such a good looking movement.

I only do high bar squats. I took to it very naturally, and low bar just feels weird to me. I have a longer upper body relative to my legs but I don't know if that has anything to do with it

Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    Not true. You really need to train low bar squats hard and often to keep them strong. You will lose the ability quickly if you dont train them.
    So, you don't support that notion that low bar gives a better mechanical advantage than Oly?

Quote Originally Posted by Carnivroar View Post
    Low-bar squats and deadlifts are hitting my posterior chain more than enough, too much even. I think that a high-bar squat and standard deadlifts would be more balanced.
    When I tried power squats, I felt like I was doing a good morning part of the way up

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Squatzalot View Post
    So, you don't support that notion that low bar gives a better mechanical advantage than Oly?
    How is that connected to what I said?

I said that you need to train low bar squats to be strong at low bar squats.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast