starting strength gym

Thread: "Shoulder Width"

Default "Shoulder Width"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This may be retarded, but when a shoulder width stance on the squat of grip on the press is recommended, does this mean that your heals or hands should be directly below/above your shoulders, or are the shoulders included in the "shoulder width" so that just air is directly below/above, with your heals/hands directly outside that range?

I am a complete newb but I think it's the second one. Having my heels directly under my shoulders didn't work for me on the squat, but I have long legs. And I don't think that is possible on the press, your shoulders would bang into your hands, should be able to see your forearms from behind. That's my interpretation at least, take it with a grain of salt.

Pretty sure shoulder width for feet means feet (heels) directly beneath your shoulders. Press should have your hands a bit outside of shoulder width.

Note that this is a rough guideline; a starting point for finding a good stance. Just think of it as "about shoulder width apart," and adjust for comfort and efficiency from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian Kovtunovich View Post
    Note that this is a rough guideline; a starting point for finding a good stance. Just think of it as "about shoulder width apart," and adjust for comfort and efficiency from there.
    This.

Your ideal squat stance depends on things which are unrelated to the width of your shoulders. More to do with the anatomy of your hips. "Shoulder width" is just easier to explain.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Dastardly View Post
    This.

Your ideal squat stance depends on things which are unrelated to the width of your shoulders. More to do with the anatomy of your hips. "Shoulder width" is just easier to explain.
    I gathered it was an estimate, but I just wanted to gather what the estimate was referring to better lol. Guess maybe there isn't a "right" answer here.

Thanks guys.