Thread: 290 x 9 Squat Check

Default 290 x 9 Squat Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    With the sets to get there as well.

"I ain't no...bionic man."

carpet!

Strong stuff, but you have a tendency to A) round on the way down and B) have the weight shift you forward pretty badly onto your toes (look at the bar path from the side - it goes from approximately over midfoot to way in front of the midfoot on many of the reps). The fact that you're doing this on carpeting probably has something to do with this. In fact, I think if you fix A, and simply squat on a more solid surface, you'll probably be pretty good to go.

Besides the carpeting, you're really burying these squats, and I think that's contributing a bit to the looseness at the bottom. I'd cut these off 1/2" to 1" higher and see if you're able to stay tighter at the bottom.

Jeez LV, stole the words right out of my mouth.

JStrong, I find it really ironic that you have some good lifting shoes and are using the good shooes on squishy carpet. Shame on you for that!

Echoing LV...Definitely a few inches too deep. You should cut those off. Also, try not to just "collapse" into the bottom. Control your bar path better on the way down...it will make up a lot easier.

Thanks Gents, the back rounding will be hard to fix, but cutting the squats an inch higher will probably help. I guess it's time to cut a hole in the carpet.

If I stop posting next week it's because my wife has killed me for cutting holes in the ugly rec room carpet.

I was doing the same thing on my squats, going two-3 inches too deep and loosening up to get there. Feels rocks solid now that I'm cutting it a bit higher.

Depth is a function of your hamstring flexibility assuming your knees are out wide enough. For example the correct depth for a gymnast will be lower than for one of us.

Maybe try a horse stall mat or similar to put over your carpet in the area where you squat? It looks like you are dropping down fast and losing tightness for the sake of a quick decent. Maybe try keeping your hips back and lower a little slower.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    Depth is a function of your hamstring flexibility assuming your knees are out wide enough. For example the correct depth for a gymnast will be lower than for one of us.
    Well thanks for that insight, professor.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast