starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Deadlift Check

Default Deadlift Check

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I only got out four reps on my deadlift today. First time I haven't made five and my dead is only 30lbs ahead of my squat so I'm a little bummed. I haven't focused much on my technique on the dead so I thought I'd get some feedback.

Felt like I was expending tons of energy on the setup and lowering the bar. I also forgot my long socks today so I wasn't pulling as hard against my shins as I should.

I do see that my head is lifted up on setup and that's not right. Also I'm leaning back too much when I lock out. I should be standing up with a normal posture, shoulders back.

I know my back isn't set properly on some of the reps. Is this due to my hip being too high. I don't have my copy of SS at work, but my back seems awful flat/hips high.

Any critique welcome and appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited by Anthony King; 11-22-2010 at 12:38 PM.

I can't critique your form but hip height is determined by your anthromoblahblahwhatever, it isn't something you can control if the rest of your form is correct.

It looks like your shoulders are a little too far in front of the bar, which is basically the same as your hips being too high, but is a different problem from you not setting your back. Get your weight back on your heels, drop your hips a little bit, and extend your lower back. Then when you pull keep the bar back against your legs.

In spite of those problems, I bet you would've gotten the 5th rep if you didn't spend so much time putting the bar down. Have you ever watched someone do a heavy set of DLs? The deadlift is pretty a much a concentric exercise -- lowering the weight is not supposed to be part of the stress. Put it down about 300% faster, and do it in a straight line by bending your hips first and then your knees.

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    I can't critique your form but hip height is determined by your anthromoblahblahwhatever, it isn't something you can control if the rest of your form is correct.
    You know you're allowed to not comment, right?

Hey Anthony, are the plates in your gym all metal? If they're rubber coated, then there's no reason to drop them so slowly. Watch how this guy lowers his deadlifts:

In addition to LWV's suggestions, you also need to stand up straight at the top. Meaning knees fully locked out, and torso in a normal standing posture. Read over pgs 140-141 for more about this. One last thing, you are getting close to hitching some of your reps, you need to commit to the correct bar path for every rep when the weight gets heavy.

Got it, Ludwig. I went over the deadlift section of SS last night and realized I'd been breaking at the knees first when lowering the bar. I was trying to get it right today but the result was that I lowered the bar sloooowly. Way too slowly, obviously. I was completely toasted after four reps.

MIkeC1--form pointers noted. The plates are all metal. But all the flooring is the horse-mat stuff and no one will care if I clang the plates a little.
    Last edited by Anthony King; 11-22-2010 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigVan View Post
    You know you're allowed to not comment, right?
    Ya but I have to find some way to contribute . I feel bad getting all this advice from the board with no way to repay the courtesy.

Unless I'm taking crazy pills, your back is curved on every rep.

Quote Originally Posted by shaddix View Post
    Ya but I have to find some way to contribute . I feel bad getting all this advice from the board with no way to repay the courtesy.
    Giving incorrect advice, or posting "I have nothing to say that can help" does not count as repaying the courtesy. No one is keeping score and it is not as if you need to answer questions in order to have the questions you ask adressed. I am not trying to discourage you from posting, either. Just say things when you need to. Quality before quantity.
    Last edited by Tom Campitelli; 11-23-2010 at 12:22 AM.

I don't see why we're picking on shaddix-- hip height in a correct deadlift *is* determined by anthropometry, which directly addresses one of the OP's concerns.
    Last edited by jerji; 11-23-2010 at 01:46 AM.

starting strength coach development program
    Breathing at the top means less support for your spine. Breathe only at the bottom. Also, you don't need the 10 lb. plates to position the bar on the floor. Push your hips back until the bar passes the knees, then bend the knees and let it come down fast. It will be pretty much right where you started from.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast