starting strength gym

Thread: Roadrogue needs some elfin magic

Default Roadrogue needs some elfin magic

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    What would life be without a little public humiliation? You will of course notice that I didn't post this in Rip's forum.

I figure it's past due to start some kind of log here and maybe get some suggestions.

I'm 58 years old, male, 140 lbs., 5'7". 10% body fat after 15 months of P90X. So I'm moderately fit for my age but certainly puss weak by the standards here.

I just completed one month of SS's Practical Programming Novice Program. (Pullups & chinups instead of cleans)

I won't list all of my workouts, just a summary.

squats: started with 105. Increased by 5 lbs. each workout but at 155 I realized my form was sucking ie. not low enough, knees not wide enough. So I backed off to 130 and working on form. At 135 now.

bench press: started with 80. Increased by 5 and now at 140 lbs. Getting difficult.

press: started with 65. Increased to 80 (difficult) and now have failed two workouts with 85. 85x3x2 so I backed it off to 82.5 and got 5 reps on the last set. Seems too early to be hitting a block, but there it is.

deadlift: started at 165 lbs. Increased to 175 then 180. This week tried 185 but failed. First attempt couldn't get bar off of ground. Regrouped and did 2 reps. Backed it off back to 180 and did 3 more reps.

Maybe just a bad day.

Pullups and chinups: First three weeks I did 3 sets of both pulls and chins on M & F with body weight. Increased up to 10 on first set of each (did pullups first since they're harder. This week I switched to weighted and going to try adding weight each session for 3x5. Only doing either chins or pulls as per program now.

Chins: 25x5x3sets
    Pullups: 15x5x3sets

Among the many things I can imagine Rips saying is that I need to eat more. I've gained 4 lbs. in the first month. Sleep could be better. Drinkin' too much booze. But hell; I'm 58. I deserve it.

Those reknowned newbie gains aren't coming too fast and furious. Does this mean I'm now an intermediate after one month? Just kidding.

Progress this week (#5) is:

gained another pound. Maybe 2 for a total of 6 lbs. in 5 weeks.

After decreasing my squat to work on form ie. depth I went up 5 lbs. to 140 and went full depth with knees out. Will add some today. Either micro (2.5 lbs.) or 5 lbs.

deadlift: succeeded with 185 lbs. this week after failing with it last week.

presses: microloaded to 82.5 after failing with 85 and that worked. Try 85 today.

benches: I can't remember except that i added 5 lbs. and really had to grind out the last reps

pullups/chins: added 5 lbs. to each and did 3x5's. Gonna add 2.5 lbs. today.

Progress is slow but at least measurable.

Add 5# to your squats and 2.5 to your benches.

Last week I failed with 185 lbs. on the deadlift. This week I did the 5 reps with it, so that's good.

So I'm progressing but seem to be prematurely slowing. Don't know if it's an official stall yet but the only thing I can figure is to eat more and get more rest. I'm certainly giving it my best effort in gym, and I have faith that SS will work for me even at 58.

That's elven magic, damnit. Mr Tolkien used to get personally angry at people like you.

starting strength coach development program
    I stand corrected but I can use whatever I can get.