starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 48Dodge's SS log

Default 48Dodge's SS log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm a few months behind on getting my log up. I thought I would give my background here as well as where I began on SS and where I am now.

Currently I'm 34yo, 35 next month, 6', 215lbs. When I discovered SS (the online bastardized version) I was around 190-195, probably around July/August. Back in college, I worked at the gym so working out was very easy to fit into my schedule, these days not so much. I've been lucky to get in 3 workouts a week. My wife and I have 2 young children and run a business together.

Old college stats, weight was around 185
    Bench 1RM was 225
    Press ?, never really did standing barbell press. Seated dbell press was 65lbs for a set of 6
    Squat was 275lbs probably closely resembling a half squat. Probably did a set of 4. Normal worksets were at most 225lbs with the back of my thigh parallel to the ground.
    Deadlift max was 315lbs for a set of 3. I remember that one clearly because I ended up with terrible TMJ for several months after that. Form was far less than perfect at that weight. Back was rounded, I'm sure. I bounced the weight between each rep, too.

After college I really piddled around in the gym doing a whole lot of nothing, weight went anywhere from 175 to 195 but usually stayed around 185-190. Lots of hammer machine work, cable stuff, dbell lifting, infrequent squats and even less deads.

When I started with SS, I was doing the internet version that included rows instead of PCs. I started with 135lb for squat (5lb increments), 115lb for bench (5lb increments), 135lb for deads (15lb increments), 85 for press (5lb increments). I added in Power Cleans and dropped the rows when I got the book about 3 weeks later, took me a while to find a weight that worked well while I was learning the technique. Still struggle with the technique.

Stats as of Friday.
    Bench is 225x3x5
    Press is 140x3x5
    Squat is 255x3x5 (got to 265x3x5 but did a quick reset because my right knee started getting inflamed due to not keeping my knees out and not eating enough)
    Deadlift is 300x1x5
    Powerclean was 145x5x3, tried 150 but failed pretty bad, I'll try it again today hopefully.

I would also be much further along on my lifts but I pushed my deadlift too far too fast and popped my rib when I got up to 295. 3 weeks of recovery, and a slight reset, then I caught a stomach bug which weakened me further. Dropped my squat from 260 down to 200, deadlift from 295 to 240 I think. Other weights were adjusted by a few lbs. I've been doing 10lb increments on deads, probably switch to 5 after the next time.

My routine is as follows
    Monday
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press 3X5
    Power Clean 5X3

Wednesday
    Squat 3x5
    Bench/Press 3X5
    Back Ext and Pullups/Chins

Friday
    Squat 3X5
    Bench/Press 3X5
    Deads 1X5
    Last edited by 48Dodge; 12-08-2010 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Checked my log book and saw my squat got up to 265 not 275 this time around

Couldn't go Monday night. My wife and I are down to 1 car right now so schedules are a little weird right now. I was able to make it last night with both kids in tow.

Squats
    260x3x5
    Got to get some knee sleeves since knees are acting up a little. Don't hurt during squats, but right knee feels inflamed at night. Loading up on fish oil and aleve.

Bench
    230x4
    230x3
    230x3
    Actually got a really good spot on bench last night. The guy stood back out of my sight until I actually went up with the weight, stopped and then it started falling again on the 5th, 4th and 4th reps. I thanked him for being such a good spotter afterwards.

PCs
    140x3x5
    I dropped to 140 because my form went to hell at 150. I'm thinking I'm going to start microloading with 1.25 plates now. Form actually felt good last night. Focused on the jump and stomp. Really the first time I got a good stomp in. I did do 3 sets of 5 last night because time was running out with the kids in childcare. I could feel my form failing on the last rep of each set.

Friday night 12/10/2010
    Squats
    265x3x5
    Knees felt fine that night. I did get my sleeves in (Vulkan), so I'll use them tonight.

Press
    145x3
    145x3
    145x4 (don't know how this happened)

Deadlift
    315x5
    I had been progressing with 10lbs per session, but having 3 plates was just too close so I went for it. Weight felt really good. I'll go back to 10lb next time.

I'm finally back in the gym full force after my slip and fall. I took about 2 months off, I still have swelling, scar tissue and some numbness in my skin, but the pain is finally gone. My upper body numbers are a little behind because I couldn't go as heavy on bench since that caused the most pain during the recovery. Squats are higher than before, deads will be even with my previous max tomorrow.

Squats I did 275, pretty slow, but steady. Finally got around to using my knee sleeves. My knees still pop loudly during my first workset and a little less the next 2 sets, but knee pain is completely gone.
    Bench is at 210 and I feel like there's still some there. Should be close to my previous max in a few weeks
    Press is just 130 and tough.
    Deads were 305
    PCs I've been doing 135. They've been wearing me out pretty bad. I'm going to hang out at 135 for a little while until my stamina builds back up.

As for diet, I ate well (drank too much coke) during my recovery and my midsection is paying the price. I'm trying to mainly just get in 200grams of protein a day without overdoing the calories until I don't look like McDonald's Grimace.

Quote Originally Posted by 48Dodge View Post
    I'm a few months behind on getting my log up. I thought I would give my background here as well as where I began on SS and where I am now.

Currently I'm 34yo, 35 next month, 6', 215lbs. When I discovered SS (the online bastardized version) I was around 190-195, probably around July/August. Back in college, I worked at the gym so working out was very easy to fit into my schedule, these days not so much. I've been lucky to get in 3 workouts a week. My wife and I have 2 young children and run a business together.
    Another refugee from stronglifts?? Or are you talking about the startingstrength wiki site? Regardless, welcome back aboard!
    Last edited by Moving_Target; 03-10-2011 at 01:59 PM.

I'm talking about the wikia site.

Quote Originally Posted by 48Dodge View Post
    I'm finally back in the gym full force after my slip and fall. I took about 2 months off, I still have swelling, scar tissue and some numbness in my skin, but the pain is finally gone. My upper body numbers are a little behind because I couldn't go as heavy on bench since that caused the most pain during the recovery. Squats are higher than before, deads will be even with my previous max tomorrow.

Squats I did 275, pretty slow, but steady. Finally got around to using my knee sleeves. My knees still pop loudly during my first workset and a little less the next 2 sets, but knee pain is completely gone.
    Bench is at 210 and I feel like there's still some there. Should be close to my previous max in a few weeks
    Press is just 130 and tough.
    Deads were 305
    PCs I've been doing 135. They've been wearing me out pretty bad. I'm going to hang out at 135 for a little while until my stamina builds back up.

As for diet, I ate well (drank too much coke) during my recovery and my midsection is paying the price. I'm trying to mainly just get in 200grams of protein a day without overdoing the calories until I don't look like McDonald's Grimace.
    I ran into that issue (minus the coke) when I stopped lifting as well. Eh, it's not a huge deal. It just makes chinups/pullups more challenging. hehe.

The numbers do come back faster than initially so as long as you don't have any lasting injuries. That would suck. I just recently bought myself some knee sleeves and they are the cats' ass.
    Last edited by Moving_Target; 03-10-2011 at 02:04 PM.

Chins are really tough. I didn't gain any weight during my time off, actually lost about 3-5lbs. Of course they got tough by putting on about 30lbs in a few months.

PR on squats although I didn't hit 5 in all 3 sets
    280 and did 5,5,4 I rocked back on my heels on 3, then leaned too far forward on 4. That blew any chances of attempting #5.

Press I did 135x5,4,4 Even though I didn't finish my sets I felt better than last time I did presses. Elbows and shoulders didn't hurt like last time. I think since my bench has been coming back it's helped.

Deads, I knocked out 315x5. Felt much better than my last time at 305x5. Looking for 2 days off this weekend. The extra day off should help me get that 280 squat.

starting strength coach development program
    I hate daylight savings in the spring. It always takes me at least a week to get used to the loss of an hour of sleep. I had a nice busted blister on my palm from working on the boat yesterday. OK, the excuses are done now.

Squat, 280x3x5. Mentally very tough for some reason. Just getting the weight off the rack, I felt a little light headed. I didn't rest enough after my first set so the 2nd set was the toughest. Felt very light headed on the 4th rep and legs felt like they had a lack of oxygen. Rested more for the 3rd set and it was better.

Bench, 215x5,3,3. Right shoulder felt rough during warmups but was OK during the heavy sets. Not enough rest between sets. Blister hurt but was the least of my worries.

I have PCs scheduled for Mondays, but shoulder was too iffy so I did back extensions. I'll do the PCs on Wed. I'm going to try to do some pullups today at home, too.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast