starting strength gym

Thread: On the Road Back to Mediocrity

Default On the Road Back to Mediocrity

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Well, for my first post I will provide any potential readers a brief introduction. I've been training and competing in powerlifting meets for a little over four years now. Started out in multiply, and really liked it; however, after putting a gym in my garage and having to train (almost) exclusively by myself, it just became too cumbersome. Sooooo, I decided to go RAWWWWW and have trained that way ever since.

My best total to date was a 500 squat, 370 bench and 545 deadlift at a svelte 220 pounds, done at an APA meet in November 2009. Unfortunately, that marked my most recent appearance on the platform as everything about my training went into the toilet. I was badly overtrained and then a host of nagging injuries started to pile up. Eventually I got burned out and said to hell with it and took some time away from powerlifting. I tried my hand at olympic lifting and although I liked it, it didn't have the same appeal to me as powerlifting. Pretty soon the urge came back, but I was not consistent enough with my training to regain much of the strength that I had lost.

I was aware of PPST and on a whim I decided to buy the Kindle version of the book about a month ago. Best thing I have done in quite a while. For the past three weeks I've been following a fairly standard version of the Texas Method as outlined in the book. Even though I'm trying to stay on the conservative side with the weights I'm using (so I don't beat myself into the ground in rapid fashion) I am getting back some strength. The road back will be a long one, but I'm committed and have targeted an APA meet in Philly on April 9th. I'd like to post at least a 1400 total @ 220, but honestly I just want to compete again.

Feel free to leave comments and advice. Now stop reading and go lift.

Best wishes on your comeback!

Thanks. I see that you're in Baltimore. I'm down in Fairfax County, VA.

12/7/10

Volume day (sort of)

Squat

bar x some
    145 x 5
    195 x 3
    235 x 1
    275 x 1
    305 x 3 x 5

Bench press

bar x several
    135 x 5
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    250 x 5 x 5

Notes: Had baby watching duties so I had to limit things a bit. Squats still feel easy and they damn well better with only 305 on the bar. Bench is coming back pretty well, too. I'll shift DLs to Thursday this week just so I don't miss anything.

12/9/10

Front squats

bar x many
    95 x 5
    135 x 3
    175 x 3
    205 x 3 x 3

OH press

w/u to 130 x 5 x 5

Sumo DLs

225 x 3
    275 x 3
    315 x 1
    355 x 1
    395 x 5

Notes: Front squats are starting to feel better again. OH pressing has always been a struggle for me due to an old shoulder injury from back in the day. Still, I'm becoming more comfortable doing them. I normally pull conventional style, but for now I'm going to try my hand at sumo. Not because I think it will be a magic bullet, but just to do something different. If I eventually outdo my best conventional DL, then so be it. The upshot is that sumo will save my back some wear and tear and should help with hip/glute strength. We will see.

starting strength coach development program
    12/11/10

Squats

bar x 2 x 8
    145 x 5
    195 x 3
    235 x 2
    275 x 1
    305 x 1
    335 x 5

Bench press

bar x 5
    135 x 3
    185 x 3
    225 x 1
    255 x 1
    285 x 3

Power cleans

40kg x 3
    60kg x 3
    75kg x 1
    85kg x 5 x 3

Notes: Hips were a little sore from sumo DLs on Wednesday. Next time I will be sure to make time for them on the Monday session, lol. Weight felt light on squats, just didn't have a lot of pop. Shoulder was aggravating during bench so I had to slow down the eccentric to spare the discomfort. I'm going to need to nip this in the bud before it worsens. Power cleans are progressing nicely. No early arm bend, which has always been a problem for me on cleans. I'm contemplating testing this lift sometime soon - not a max mind you, just want to push it some and gauge the progress I've made.