starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Newbie Squat, Left Hip Pain

Default Newbie Squat, Left Hip Pain

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Mark,

I'm 23 / 6' / 172 and have been on SS for two months now. One month ago had to de-load my squat due to left low back / left outer hip pain. so I took about 3 weeks offs from squatting and rehabbed my back by McKenzie exercises, back extensions, walking, ice and Ibuprofen. I started up again this past Monday and today it seems I have gone an aggravated it all over again. I am going get an MRI soon to confirm my suspicions but I am really upset that I have to go through all of this again..

My question to you is if there are any form issues that would be serious enough to aggravate and/or slip a disc in my low back. The first time I tweaked my back was at 125lbs. This weight is only at 105lbs.

Thanks in advance.

Your back pain is so bad that you're going to pay for an MRI? Or somebody is going to pay for an MRI? You're 50 lbs. underweight, squatting 105. You had better have radiculopathy and a drop foot or we're going to call you a tittybaby. Have you had it adjusted? Have you gained any weight?

You idiot. Calling someone underweight if his BMI is below 30. At his age and 172lbs he should be able to squat 125lbs without any problem. If not, there must be some kind of injury or form issue.

I've gained 17 pounds in the first 5 weeks before the first back injury happened at 125lbs squat and I couldn't bend down to tie my shoes without stabbing pains in my low back / outer hip. (Yes I was a freakish 6 foot, 155 pounds whens I started) Things were going well until I had to stop squatting and eating a shit load. I'm REALLY curious if my form is THAT bad that it would cause a lumbar herniation. I've seen people squatting in the 200's with worse form that me :/

I'll go to a chiro first..

Quote Originally Posted by 62jeroen View Post
    You idiot. Calling someone underweight if his BMI is below 30. At his age and 172lbs he should be able to squat 125lbs without any problem. If not, there must be some kind of injury or form issue.
    There is also nothing sufficiently wrong with his form to explain a back tweak, there is a giant gulf of muscular bodyweight between his narrow ass and a BMI of 30 (as if we give a fuck about BMI in young healthy male lifters), and a huge gob of experience with the lifters on this board and in my personal experience that shows novice bodyweight gain to be the rising tide that heals little injuries like this one.

You lack the credentials to call me an idiot. Fuck off.
    Last edited by Mark Rippetoe; 01-01-2011 at 06:22 PM. Reason: "Fuck off" added upon further reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rippetoe View Post
    there is a giant gulf of muscular bodyweight between his narrow ass and a BMI of 30.
    I mean no disrespect, but you said he needed to gain 50lbs to stop being underweight. 222 pounds at 6 feet tall is a BMI of 30.1, which is where he got the figure from. He didn't just make it up.

No, he just misconstrues its application. It is not relevant to anybody except the untrained sedentary population. "a giant gulf of muscular bodyweight", right? You know this too.

No, he just misconstrues its application. It is not relevant to anybody except the untrained sedentary population. "a giant gulf of muscular bodyweight", right? You know this too.
    I agree that BMI is pretty much entirely useless. I disagree that a weight of 222 is required to no longer be underweight, but it surely can't hurt in gaining strength.

No desire to be overly contentious though- Happy New Year!

You're entitled to your opinion, although you know exactly what I meant and you know that it is correct: "underweight" was not the point of the post.

starting strength coach development program
    You're entitled to your opinion, although you know exactly what I meant and you know that it is correct: "underweight" was not the point of the post.
    Okay, sorry for wasting your time then.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast