starting strength gym

Thread: OHP issues- using a belt and lifting the heels up

Default OHP issues- using a belt and lifting the heels up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi coach Rip,

I am at the point where progressing with the OHP is a bit difficult for 5's, my PR is currently 65KG for 5, struggling with 67.5 for a while now, I seem to be able to add 2.5KG on the bar before getting stuck again, which I guess is normal from a certain point in the OHP(my BW is 95KG btw)

The new press video by Tommy Suggs already gave me a lot of insight here, as I am not involving my hip flexors as suggested, not as nearly as laid back as I should be.

- On the 5th rep on the last couple of sets I usually find myself lifting the heels up in the air in order to complete the rep, was wondering if there's any major problem with it, and should I prefer a failure over a completed rep with lifted heels?

- I just added a belt in my last couple of workouts, and I actually lifted less weight with it, what are your insights on using a belt for the OHP?

Wish u all a happy new year at WFAC

Are you taking 2.5 k jumps?

Quote Originally Posted by SmokingSnake View Post
    Hi coach Rip,

I am at the point where progressing with the OHP is a bit difficult for 5's, my PR is currently 65KG for 5, struggling with 67.5 for a while now, I seem to be able to add 2.5KG on the bar before getting stuck again, which I guess is normal from a certain point in the OHP(my BW is 95KG btw)

The new press video by Tommy Suggs already gave me a lot of insight here, as I am not involving my hip flexors as suggested, not as nearly as laid back as I should be.

- On the 5th rep on the last couple of sets I usually find myself lifting the heels up in the air in order to complete the rep, was wondering if there's any major problem with it, and should I prefer a failure over a completed rep with lifted heels?

- I just added a belt in my last couple of workouts, and I actually lifted less weight with it, what are your insights on using a belt for the OHP?

Wish u all a happy new year at WFAC
    I have experienced the up-on-the-toes finish a couple of times. It seems to be, at least for me, some kind of involuntary muscle contraction in the legs as you try to summon the gumption to finish a hard rep--I notice as my presses get heavier, I am increasingly focused on locking my legs down tight. Kind of a stupid muscle contraction, obviously. Rip's lift-the-toes cue will keep you back on your feet where you belong.