starting strength gym

Thread: Squat form check

Default Squat form check

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hey Rip,

My wife is currently following the typical SS A/B split with 2 days between workouts due to my work schedule. We filmed a few of her squat sets tonight and she wanted me to post them up to the board for you to give your critique on them. She has a bad habit of talking between her reps when I yell out cues.

The weight on the bar is 75lbs down from a top weight of 105lbs before Christmas where she missed 2 weeks worth of workouts due to conflicts with work and traveling. She also had some very bad knee movement, particularly on the left side so I thought it best to re-start her progression before she got too far ahead with bad habits. I've done my best to get her form up to par, we are only 4-5 workouts into everything.

Here are the videos:

Front:

Rear:

Thanks, Rip!

-Hat

Yes, she could do a better job of hurrying the fuck up. There are a couple of reps in both sets that flop into a goodmorning, so she needs to keep her chest up, and I think she knows this. But her bar position is a little low on her back, and this may make a difference in her tightness and stability under the bar.

Would you recommend a higher bar position? She states that this is where it is comfortable.

She doesn't respond well to the "chest up" cue as it causes her to negate her hip drive. I've tried elbows back as well, are there any other cues to help with this?

Thanks again for your help, Rip.

I can't see that well since she is swaddled in clothing, but it looks low to me. So I would try to evaluate this if I were there because it has a bearing on all that upper back stuff.

Yeah, it's been a bit chilly here as of late. One of the drawbacks to training in the garage, but it sure beats the crap you have to put up with at a commercial facility. We will fiddle with her bar placement during tonights session. Thanks, Rip.

-Hat

Here are her sets from our last training session. I had her move the bar up a tad higher, and asked her to focus on chest up, and oddly enough I think they look much better (go figure, you might actually know what you are doing). She still GMed a few of them, but I think overall they are improved. She also stated that all day long all she could think about was you saying: "Yes, she could do a better job of hurrying the fuck up." It was quite comical.

I apologize for the crappy angles, we only have a 1 car garage at the moment and space is very limited.

Thanks again for looking, Rip. She and I both very much appreciate it.

-Hat

Much better. Notice this time that the reps that were done after the breath were generally better than the reps where she didn't breath. Have her reset each rep next time and see if improvement doesn't continue.

starting strength coach development program
    I hadn't noticed, but I'm glad you did. I will have her do just that during tomorrows session. Thanks, Rip.

-Hat