starting strength gym
Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Fk what you heard

Default Fk what you heard

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Background

Last year I enjoyed some success with the barbell and finally got my 3x5 300lb squat, as well as pulling 1x5 170kg and a few other things. I also dieted down from ~112kg at the start of 2010 to about 92kg at the end of the year. So that was 3 kg less than my weight pre SS. In that time i took my squat up from 3x5 40kg to ~3x5 140 and deadlift from 1x5 60kg to 1x5 170, as well as doubling the old bench and pressing 62.5kg, odd.

Present
    I am around 94kg post holiday feasting and 2-3 month gym layoff. What do i want to achieve in 2011? Get leaner, get stronger, get fitter and healthier and look good.

My program? I like the one lift/session programs of Wendler and Pavel. So in that spirit i'm adopting 5/3/1 with some initial modification for retraining purposes. Specifically i want to get back to moving heavy weight quicker than would be achieved on the official 5/3/1 progression.

Also I realise life will get in the way often, and lifting is NOT a priority for me. So if i can minimise any time spent in the gym, as well has recover gracefully from missed scheduled workouts that would suit me best. In that spirit, i'm going to take a haphazard approach to lifting the next weeks and possibly even further from there. I dont want to spend hours in the gym. A workout should be brief and intense, of around ~30 minutes maximum duration.

I wasn't going to post on this site again, but there are some really knowledgeable dudes who give great form advice (like NKT) and since I dont have a coach, it is quite valuable.

Goals
    Get down to 85kg lean (or 32 inch waist whichever comes first).
    Squat and DL 2xBW
    Bench BW
    Dunk a basketball
    Abz and gunz (single digit bf)

Make it so!

Press
    3x5 50kg
    5x10 30kg (BBB assistance)

Chins
    2x4, 1x3, 2x2 (bw)
    4x8 (orange band)

Squat and DL 2xBW
    These are not the same goal. Deadlifting 2xBW is easy, pretty much anybody can do it after a year or two (it took me exactly 1 year). Squatting 2xBW is hard except for small guys (under 80kg). I still haven't done it (raw) after 7 1/2 years (1.97x PR) and when a physiotherapist friend of mine did a study on squatting mechanics recently he didn't get a single one among 35 subjects (experienced powerlifters and olympic lifters). The best got just over 1.9x.

I'm just saying.

So, after being at this for a quite a while and never having had much success, you are now able to 1) determine what program "works" best for you and 2) know how to modify it to make it even better? I dont meant to demean your efforts, but are you sure you're not setting yourself up for failure again?

Give the guy a break, at least in his own log.

2xBW DL wont take a year. i did it w/ short of mine arms using conventional stance and no belt.

If he hit 170kgx5 at 92kg BW he should already have a 2xBW deadlift.

Squat
    2x5 100kg
    1x5 60 kg

Bench
    4, 3 72.5 kg
    4 67.5 kg
    5 60 kg

Didn't do the whole assistance thing today. I've hard the sorest abs the last few days. Couldnt figure out why, must have been the squats last week? So i realised my badly detrained abs are holding me back. Used the belt. Yes i know, it's a light weight, but legs need heavy weight, so for abs i did the wheel. It's all moot really, when i'm moving 140kg for sets, abs will be strong enough by then.

I just want to ad that while i got 1x5 90kg last week on SQ, this week i could only manage two hard reps at the same weight while warming up. That's why i used the belt for the subsequent workset.

Just scribbling down some numbers.. I want to know an estimate for my current bodyfat.

BW: 93.6 kg
    TW: 85 kg @ 10% bf

now 10% of 85 is 8.5kg of TFM. Lets take DW (change in weight) to be BW-TW=94-85=9kg. So I need to lose 9kg of weight.

So working backwards, what is an estimate for my current BF? Well current FM would be TFM + DW = 8.5kg + 9kg = 17.5kg. ie. BF = 17.5/94 = 18.6%. Which sounds pretty reasonable.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hbriem View Post
    Deadlifting 2xBW is easy, pretty much anybody can do it after a year or two (it took me exactly 1 year). Squatting 2xBW is hard except for small guys (under 80kg).[...] when a physiotherapist friend of mine did a study on squatting mechanics recently he didn't get a single one among 35 subjects (experienced powerlifters and olympic lifters).
    Certainly a double bodyweight deadlift is easier than a double bodyweight squat. And certainly achieving either is not happening overnight. However if your physio friend did not meet any who squatted twice their bodyweight, perhaps he needs to widen his social circle. This garage gym gives the results of several lifters over 80kg squatting at or over twice their bodyweight.

Chris BW93.3kg SQ207.5kg
    Kelly 81.1kg 172.5kg
    Nick 110.5kg 220kg (okay 1kg short... oh noes)
    etc

Thus his goal while very difficult is a plausible goal.

I would not get too hung up on bodyfat percentages and the rest, it can really do your head in. Focus instead on more concrete stuff like waist and chest girth.

Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast