starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: transition to DTP after 5 months

Default transition to DTP after 5 months

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Coach Rip,
    I’d appreciate some advice on transitioning from NDTP to DTP as I go into month 6 of starting strength - specifically the milk and caloric intake. Here’s the deal after 5 months of training:
    age: 43; height: 5'11''; weight: 180 lbs to 196 lbs; %bodyfat feels about the same as when I started but not measured
    squat: 115 lbsx5x3 to 205x5x3
    deadlift: 135x5x1 to 285x5x3
    press: 65x5x3 to 110x5x3
    bench: 95x5x3 to 145x5x3
    pull/chin-ups: 0 to 3 sets of 5

I intend to complete another 4 months of the program for a total SS training time of 9 months and would like to hit some respectable numbers. My technique for bench press sucks but the other lifts are pretty good based on my reading of the book and watching your video (re-reading bench technique section - it WILL improve).

Where I've gong wrong: I have not consumed the recommended calories or drank more than a quarter gallon of skim milk a day although I have supplemented my diet with a tablespoon of whey protein 2x/day and a 1/4 teaspoon of creatine/day. I followed other aspects of the program to a tee. I justified it by thinking I’m old and overweight but I realize that was hard-headed. So now, just as I come to the realization that I should DTP, I see in your article "A Clarification," that you recommend backing off the calories and milk consumption as strength gains start to flatten out a bit.

My Question: do you have any advice on how I might transition to “doing the program” from “not doing the program” after 5 months of lifting? I’m currently making slow progress (e.g. 5lb increments on the squat every 5th or 6th workout). Should I just start chowing down and chugging milk for the next few months while I work through the rest of my novice phase? Or does DTP mean I messed that part up already and should maintain my current diet?

Thanks - for everything!

Here's how to handle the transition: This is Tuesday night. Tomorrow, Wednesday, you start doing the program. You will eat 4000 calories and 250 grams of protein, and immediately start to gain weight and recover better.

A tablespoon of whey protein twice a day??? Fuck, man, you're killing me dead here.

And drink real milk.....

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    I have supplemented my diet with a tablespoon of whey protein 2x/day
    I weigh a touch less then then you ~ 192lbs and I have 5 scoops a day which is 125gms (100g protein) and I'm by no means a big user compared to some I know. I used to be a one scoop a dayer but the increased protein from 5/6 scoops a day has really helped. It's a real cheap source of protein if you buy the right stuff. Try taking some more!

A tablespoon of ON 100% Whey protein powder would be...5g of protein? Two of those wouldn't even be enough protein for a newborn baby. I have not yet encountered a newborn baby that can squat 285lbs, though I haven't encountered any Russian babies yet so that may change.

SteveC, protein powder comes with a scoop in the tub/bucket. Maybe you've never noticed and it's buried in the powder. Use the scoop. 2 scoops at a time or bust, frankly. Protein mixes better in water, but tastes better in (whole) milk. Inspired former crossfitters make protein smoothies with fruits and oats and crap.

Jumbo eggs, bacon, chicken, beef, milk. These are your friends.

I am trying, desperately, to construct a witty retort and I've got nothing. This post is completely flabbergasting. Where in the book does it ever (emphasis: fucking ever) mention skimmed milk?

Wait, are you trying to Zone this bitch? Admit it, you're Zone'ing ... aren't you?

I sort of did the same thing, but it took me a lot longer to realize I was NTDP. I think it's always ok, good even, to return to basic linear progression at certain times, like after breaks, illness, etc. Just make sure you reset to reasonable weights, eat accordingly, and know when to move on to more advanced programming. The longer the break or bigger the reset, the longer you can stretch it out. You will probably set new PR's the first few times it happens. Hopefully you will be in a stronger position, learning curve wise as well as in adaptation, to make more of it each time.
    It's actually fun and the simplicity of it can make training more enjoyable for a bit when you are burned out.

Shit - I can't believe I killed Coach Rip! In loving memory - if 4000 calories and 250 grams of protein is the DTP then that's what I'll do. In fact, I was just about to pass up a big roast beef sandwich and massive glass of whole milk when the ghost whispered through the the room: "stuuufffff yoouuurrrr faaace . . . ."

Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    Shit - I can't believe I killed Coach Rip! In loving memory - if 4000 calories and 250 grams of protein is the DTP then that's what I'll do. In fact, I was just about to pass up a big roast beef sandwich and massive glass of whole milk when the ghost whispered through the the room: "stuuufffff yoouuurrrr faaace . . . ."
    ive noticed a trend of 40yrs+ guys introducing this kind of fuckery into the program. youll be amazed at will happen if you simply eat. who told you that you were fat anyways?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by drecar View Post
    ive noticed a trend of 40yrs+ guys introducing this kind of fuckery into the program. youll be amazed at will happen if you simply eat. who told you that you were fat anyways?
    that’s a damn good question – particularly since a theme of Rip’s work is to re-introduce an evidenced-based approach to strength and fitness programs. Who told me I’m fat? How about doctors and physical therapists – you know, the authoritative ones! Basically the same people who told me to work out on nautilus machines. Basically the same people who told me never to dead lift or squat past parallel.

I mean c’mon – don’t you guys realize how revolutionary this SS program is for a lot of us? Eating like this is akin to jumping off a cliff in the dark – it’s not easy for a 43 year old to lose a big belly. But now that I’ve had some time with the program and gotten a bit stronger. I squat below parallel 3-days a week and I can still walk. And I’ve read everything I can get my hands on about SS. It’s all coming back saying the same thing – it works. I’m ready to jump – better late than never.

So, yes – 40-somethings have seen a bit more bullshit all around so maybe we’re more skeptical. But I don’t blame any of you for being impatient. All I can say is how fucking grateful I am to Rip for being the counter-cultural, grumpy mo-fo that he is and still taking the time to respond on the forum. That’s pretty fucking great. Now you’ll have to excuse me while I go raid the fridge . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast