starting strength gym

Thread: Squat Form Check Please

Default Squat Form Check Please

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Coach Rip:

Hi. I am presently on TM Intermediate, (past couple of months). Today was Intensity Day - Squat 116 kgs (256 lbs, 1x5). Did my best with getting as clear a clip as was possible - still appears a bit hazy, but perhaps viewable (I think...hope video gets approved).

My first form check video ever (if it gets approved) - can I please have your comments - really looking forward to your critique. Thanks in advance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKCNYh9jcuo

You are not even close to depth. I think TM may be a bit premature.

Hi Coach Rip:

Thanks very much for your critique & advice.

I am sure I can go much deeper - however, during the actual workout and even after watching the video, I was thinking (incorrectly, I
    realize now), that I had proper depth. I am really glad for uploading form check video and very thankful for the feedback. Will certainly maintain more depth henceforth, (and hope to get another video out in a couple of weeks or so).

Get that friend of yours in the video to step back and give you immediate feedback on your depth. He's not doing anything useful or necessary where he is now.

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    Get that friend of yours in the video to step back and give you immediate feedback on your depth. He's not doing anything useful or necessary where he is now.
    Thanks Stef...I'll try to get some feedback on depth from some of the guys at the gym.

Generally, a real issue at this BB gym, is that it takes a lot of effort to stop spotters from involving themselves physically, in whatever workouts they are "spotting". In this case, I had to tell this guy about 5 times or so before starting the workout, to not help me in any manner, (you can see him unable to resist and is touching my WL belt a couple of times, during the workout - but, as these weights are not bumpers & the only squat rack is not a power rack, I do need someone to spot, in case I get stuck & need help).

And, hardly anyone squats at this gym (the leg press machine is quite busy, as are the knee extension ones), and even those who think they squat, only quarter/half squat. So, it might be a bit difficult to get an opinion from them regarding adequate depth.

But, point taken...thanks very much again...I will attempt to get someone at the gym, to provide feedback on my squat depth.

Still feel that there could very well be other issues with my squat, that might be more visible from a better (less hazy) video taken from a more side-on angle. Hoping to get my depth issue fixed by then, (in a couple of weeks or so, before my next video)...