starting strength gym
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nate's newbie log

Default Nate's newbie log

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I've been logging my workouts on a safe Excel file where no one else can see. Now that I've hit some hurdles, it's time to share.

I'm 38, I'm 5'11" and weigh 225lbs.

I use the gym at my office three days a week. Usually Sun, Tues, Thurs.

I've been doing SS since mid November. I do OK with sticking to the workouts, but the diet and sleep give me problems. I've got two little ones; so many times I just eat what mama puts out for dinner. The days I feel I'm lacking caloric intake, I put down a few glasses of leche an hour or so before bed time.

My current workout weights (3X5) are;

Press: 135

Bench: 205

Squat: 185

Dead: 255

First workout in the gym since the 9th. I had to take a week off for some family stuff, so was forced to use the home weights.

I was able to do normal Bench and Press, but the squats took a beating.

Yesterday's workout was;
    Sunday, 1/16/11

Squat:
    1X5-95
    2X5-135
    3X5-185
    First squat workout in a week. Felt like crap.

Press:
    1X5-65
    1X5-95
    1X5-125
    3X5-135
    I need to work on my form. I'm pretty sure I'm arching my back.

DL:
    1X5-135
    1X5-205
    1X5-255
    A little longer break than normal, plus I was rushed. I think I need to post some video. I don't feel like my starting position is spot on.

Chins:
    5X3
    Par for the course.

Tuesday, 1/18/11

Squat:
    1X5-45
    1X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-195

Bench:
    1X10-135
    1X5-185
    1X5-210, 2X4-210 I stalled out.
    3X2-225 Barely got the last rep.

Oly Curls:
    3X8-85

Bench felt like crap today. I think it may be from my PR press weight last workout. Or I may have hit the ceiling for 5lb jumps each work out. I guess I'll hit the same weight next bench day and see what happens.

Squats feel the same. I just think I should be squatting much more weight. Thursday’s workout will put me at 205 for the squats; where I normally stall out.

Thursday, 1/20/11

Squat:
    1X5-95
    2X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-205
    I went over some common problems as addressed in SSBBT before hand. I think I was trying to keep my torso too vertical. I also employed the toe lifting to help find a good balance point. Seemed to work OK. I didn't have any trouble with the work set. The last rep was hard, but nothing out of the ordinary. I hope with continued hip stretches and reminders from SSBBT, I can begin to increase my squat weights.

Press:
    1X5-45
    1X5-65
    1X5-95
    1X5-140
    2X5-135
    I got a little ahead of myself today. Last Press workout with 135 was a PR. The 140 felt like a ton! Surprisingly, taking the 5lbs off made a difference.

Chins:
    BW X4 X4 X3 X3 X3
    I hope to get to X5 by March.

Sunday, 01/23/2011

My "Monday". Had two days off and felt well rested. I got a full eight hours of sleep for the first time in a long time last night. I ate well over the weekend, minus a handful of Sam Adams Boston Lager. Had plenty of milk and good protein meals; lots of grilled fish and chicken.

Squat:
    1X5-95
    2X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-215
    Felt good up until the last two reps. I got through, but they sucked. I think I was letting my knee come in. Something I will have to work on with heavier weights.
    I continued with the toe lifting and bending more at the hip. The 215 for the entire work set is a PR for me.

Bench:
    1X10-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-210
    3X2-230
    The best I've felt in a while (or ever I guess) with the bench. The work set is/was a PR for me. I'm thinking about getting someone to workout with. I think if I had the security of a spotter, I could have done 3X3 with the 230 w/out help and possibly X5 with help. Feels great!

Dead Lift:
    1X5-135
    1X5-205
    1X5-275
    Had a difficult time maintaining form with the last few reps. This is/was a PR for me as a work set. I suspect I am going to feel this work in the morning though.

OLY Bar curls:
    2X10, 1X8-85
    Working on getting better chins. I guess maybe a little vanity also. Fuck it, it felt good.

If good rest and diet get these results, then does anyone know a buyer for two boys under four?

Tuesday, 01/25/11

Short day in the gym.

Press:
    1X10-45
    1X5-65
    1X5-95
    1X5-135
    2X5-140
    Don't know what I was thinking with the 135 set. Oh well, I'll get a full work set with 140 next week.
    What I did felt pretty good.

Squats:
    1X5-95
    1X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X3-225
    Well, I got the 225 off the rack and thought "Oh shit". I went ahead and did the sets of three instead of de-loading the bar.

I didn't have time for chins tonight. I need to work on making them a priority.

Thursday, 01/27/11

Fucking crap workout! Crap bench workout. I learned a valuable lesson about the importance of a good warm-up. I only get 1 hour to use the weight room during an eight hour shift. Because of this, I have t be efficient with my time management. Long story short, someone was using the bench so I tried to rush things; did a 155lb warm-up, then went right to my workout weight. FAIL.

It didn't help that I usually do the bench and/or press before my squat to help warm up old shoulders, but today did squat first.

Squat:
    1X5-95
    1X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-225
    For as much bitching as I did about the bench, the squat was a PR and felt good.

Bench:
    1X10-155
    1X4, 1X3-215
    2X2, 1X3(spotter)-225

Chins- 4X4, 1X3-BW

I have two days off before my next workout day. I hope to come back well rested and nourished. I'm going to nail the 215!

Welcome and congrats. Your numbers are really solid, you should have started logging here earlier :P

Quote Originally Posted by unsorted View Post
    Welcome and congrats. Your numbers are really solid, you should have started logging here earlier :P
    Thanks, I could have started logging last month, but I was way off the res. in terms of following the program.

Sunday, 1/30/11

Added power cleans today, more on that later though. I decided rather than hit the bench again; I would be better off sticking to the alternating bench / press workouts.

Press:
    1X10-45
    1X5-65
    1X5-95
    1X5-115
    3X5-140
    I knocked out all the reps, but I think maybe I should cut one of the warm-up sets out. That was hard!

Power Cleans:
    1X5-65
    1X5-95
    2X5-115
    2X5-135
    I read my SSBBT before the workout and thought I would have no problems. After the first set I felt like a kid on a bike without training wheels for the first time. It felt awkward, almost un-natural to jump. I am going back to the book to read over the power clean chapter again. I will hit the power cleans again on Thursday.

Squat:
    1X5-95
    1X5-135
    1X5-185
    3X5-225
    Decided to wuss out on making a jump in weights due to the addition of the power cleans. I believe that was the correct choice as the 225 felt heavy. First two sets were no problem, the last set kicked my arse, well the last two reps anyway.

I'm going to alternate the power cleans with the dead lifts. For now, I plan on sticking to the schedule I use,

A workout:
    Press
    Power Clean
    Squat

B workout:
    Bench
    Squat
    Dead lift

For PCs, are you doing hang cleans, jump cleans, etc.? I would discard trying to do the full movement until you feel comfortable doing hang cleans, then move on to jump cleans, then add the lift off the floor at the very end. Doing that, and focusing on the bar at the mid-thigh as a cue to jump, helped me a lot...

Your bench and press are strong!

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by unsorted View Post
    For PCs, are you doing hang cleans, jump cleans, etc.? I would discard trying to do the full movement until you feel comfortable doing hang cleans, then move on to jump cleans, then add the lift off the floor at the very end. Doing that, and focusing on the bar at the mid-thigh as a cue to jump, helped me a lot...

Your bench and press are strong!
    Yeah, I rushed into the pc just to get them started. I think maybe that was a mistake. I'm hurting today. Lower back feels out of tune. Thursday I think I will go a little slower and just use the bar. I did hang cleans and jump cleans before I added the weight and full motion last night. I will spend my off day re-reading the book to enable a more patient approach in the weight room.

Thanks, I'm glad you think so. I am still a ways off my goals. I heard someone else on this board use the expression of having a strong bench press as something on their bucket list. I feel the same way. I was not genetically gifted with a monster chest, but feel quite certain with hard work and dedication I can become much stronger than I currently am.

Thanks for the feedback.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast